Gmod DUPE compatibility

So many of use still make cool dupes in gmod, and the basic hope for S&box is that gmod DUPEs can be used in s&box, just imagine really being able to test stuff out and use homemade vehicles on much larger maps, mainly flying dupes because we have little space to fly in gmod. We know from demos, that thrusters, plastic and wheels still exist in the new game, so i don’t see why it couldn’t be a thing, of course the limitations would be coding and a different engine, but hey, its a hope.

1 Like

Imma be real with you chief, I don’t think what you described will ever happen.

Facepunch has made it clear they’ll never have game mounting and will not use the gmod props, which are almost entirely Half-Life 2 assets.

For this to happen, it would be a modder, he’d need to port most Gmod props and fork the Sandbox gamemode into its own gamemode, and then add a way to read dupes from gmod and interpret them with what S&box has, and we’re only talking about simple dupes, anything more and the modder would need to recreate all gmod constraints and wiremod.

Not many people are interested in doing a gamemode like that, but it would also be a separate gamemode, not the default Sandbox, the author would need to keep it up to date forever least it falls into obscurity as an inferior fork of the default sandbox gamemode with only 1 gimmick.

2 Likes

Well yes i see where your coming from, and it makes sense. But for sandbox in general, not wiremod, no one uses wiremod anymore, but for sandbox i’d at least like to see some compatibility. And a Modder might be the best bet i agree. But to be honest, i dont see why it would have to be its own gamemode, sandbox mode is meant for stuff like that. Also there is a fair amount of people who do upload dupes constantly. Yes different types of code are being used for both games, but i feel like it would miss out. Besides theres still a large portion of people who still play sandbox mode and find it useful. And at least even if theres no compatibility, i could see them keeping the dupe tool. After all dupes are easier to make than mods, and theres plenty of useful dupes out there.

1 Like

Why not just play Gmod? If you want to try dupes with the Rubikon engine, it’s not that great.

1 Like

Currently that’s how the system will be set up, I know there will be plans on having addons too to add into a gamemode without having to fork it, someone could definitely upload all the gmod props as an addon, and then have a dupe tool as an addon, but it wouldn’t last until launch, where people would be able to use those addons, because their stance will still be that they won’t allow modders to upload content from other games / that they don’t own as addons.

1 Like

Well my thinking is people may want a new experience, also considering there may be a time when they stop updating gmod because s&box takes over, from my point of view it would only make sense to make it convenient for dupe makers.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. And if anything it would be an addon. But generally, speaking we’ve seen in demos they have props on the game, of course on full release they may be different props, but idk why they would take props out after they’ve already found a way to put them in the demos.

1 Like