Gmod multiplayer servers DLs freeze

Ok so when I first wanted to join a darkRP server right after I bought the game it joined the server but all the map textures were missing, I tried the same thing with a murder server and I could join but the map textures were also missing. Then after some time DLing a load of maps and addons it would download all necessary addons and the map correctly but after it finished mounting all addons it started DLing a heap of materials and models and when it was almost done DLing it would freeze at a random file, I could still go to my normal destkop and when I look at my toolbar it says: ‘application not responding’.
I can play on a singleplayer game but i can’t join any multiplayer servers.
I am using a macbook running on Mac OS X lion version 10.7.5
here are my specs:
processor=2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo
Memory=2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

If anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix this, please respond.

How’s your HDD space looking?

126.92 GB free out of 249.07 GB

I can’t help with your downloads freezing, I just wanted to explain why you had missing textures after downloading the map.
The map maker probably used materials from another source game such as Half Life 2, or maybe HL2: Ep2, and if you don’t have the correct game you won’t see any resources (materials and models) that are used from it.
Map makers CAN include all the materials in the map but not everyone does it, some people rely on you already having the needed materials.

It’s an annoying part of Garrys Mod but if you own HL2, HL2:Ep2, and CSS, then you shouldn’t have many missing materials on most servers (the other main games are TF2 (free) and DoD:S)

yeah I understand that and i already bought CS:S but it’s a bummer that my downloads keep freezing :confused:
(when I bought CS:S it had a couple of the maps necessary for darkRP)