GMod runs slow, but why?

O.K., so I have Garry’s Mod and my laptop has pretty decent specs, so why does GMod lag on it? My specs are:

Machine name: XOCHI-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_ldr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP G60 Notebook PC
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62 (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2814MB RAM
Page File: 1141MB used, 4718MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

I don’t know what it could be, and I have to have screen resolution at 640x480 and all the settings at low in order to get a good framerate on gm_flatgrass. Any solutions or ideas?

[editline]07:41AM[/editline]

Also I checked and I have all the latest drives for my graphics card.

[editline]07:47AM[/editline]

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G
Display Memory: 1394 MB
Dedicated Memory: 243 MB
Shared Memory: 1151 MB

People always go on about how laptops have bad specs, but I think this one is very good.

Gmod uses the source engine in a way it wasn’t designed to be. That’s why it lags much.
Ill recomend you to put this setings in your console
rate 20000 OR 80000
cl_cmdrate 20 OR 30 (no more)
cl_updaterate 20 OR 30 (no more)ç
fps_max 300

Those commands helped a bit, but I still lag on GMod and it’s bugging me because it shouldn’t. My specs are more than the bare minimum to run GMod, so why is it still giving me problems?

gmod is one of the most needy, bitchy games there is on the Source engine.

Make sure nothing is running while you use GMod, use the stuff OrDnAs said, and then experiment with graphic settings (lower=less strain on computer=less lag)

Deactivate the vertical sync (trought options<video>advance). That also should help.

Anytime I play a game I always make sure nothing my computer needs to run is running, so that isn’t the problem. Also, vertical sync is already off because I turned everything to the lowest setting I possibly could. This sucks.

Use an fps booster for TF2 since the commands will be the same anyway, Just don’t do any -dxlevel crap because it fucks up Derma most the time.

How much is your average fps loss and choke?(net_graph 3 in console)

-dxlevel 81 and Derma get along fine. idk about the other levels though

laptops having bad specs… PAH! we had a laptop that could run crysis on high setting and a good resolution with NO LAG, and its resolution was double that of HD…too bad i accidently put an ethernet cable in the modem socket D:

How the fuck?

Never mind that, why would that break the damn laptop?

i set my graphics to the lowest and i have a crappy pc but when i use npc or spawn buildings or something its fine,the problems come when i shoot an npc or a fight beggins my pc screen goes completly black and restarts,someone can help me with this? :s somebody can tell me some commands or options to make it goes normal?

vista = poo

Vista = Resource hungry.

For example.
For XP, 2.4GHz Single core computer is required.
For Vista, a 2.8Ghz Single core is required.

Conclusion: Vista is a resource hungry prick who is really microsofts way at getting gamers to buy better computers. Therefore getting more money.
Sneaky bastards.

Try to put in your launch options: mat_forcehardwaresync 0

i had the same problem with gmod crashing, and this worked :smiley: