GMod Server Setup Tutorial!

GMod 10 Server Tutorial

After all the trouble i had when setting up my server i decided to make a new tutorial that explains every thing I know of from scratch.
(also you don’t need to know much of anything about computers to do this tutorial :D)
The first thing you’re going to want to do is make a new folder where you want your server to be
( mine is C:\server (so you would make a folder called server is the root of your hard drive)
After that’s done click this link: http://www.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe
save it and put it in the folder you just made. Now you need to open the command prompt (its okay if you’ve never heard of this before :D)
For XP users fallow number 1 and Vista users number 2

1: open the start menu click Run and type cmd and hit enter, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff.

2: open the start menu click All Programs find Accessories click it now click Command Prompt, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff.

Now that that’s all over (P.S. your probably going to need to do that alot more)
click on the black box and type this cd C:<the folder you just made> and replace
<the folder you just made with the name of the folder you just made!
so for me it would look like this cd C:\server
Now (if your still even reading this) type this hldsupdatetool.exe and hit enter
Now when it is done type this hldsupdatetool -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server and replace server with the folder you made at the start
NOW YOUR DOWNLOADING YOUR SERVER!!! :smiley: When it does finish (it can take a few hours) you are going to need to make a shortcut to run your server
now open the folder you downloaded the server to and open notepad and type cd C:\server\orangebox\ (replace server with the name of the folder you made at the start)
hit enter and type this srcds.exe -game garrysmod now hit enter now click file now hit save as and type this gmod server start.bat (TYPE .bat AT THE END!)
and in the drop down menu that says save as type change it to All Files now save it where you want now just click that to start up your server anytime you want!
now open the folder you made at start then open the folder called orangebox, now this is going to look sort of like your gmod root folder but this one is for your
server now if you open the folder called garrysmod you and then the one called addons here you can install addons for your server just like you do for your computer

Now if you have a router you are going to need to do port forwarding first go here http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm pick your os and fallow that
next go here http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm find your router model number click it then find the link called Half Life 2 Steam Server
click it now fallow that and then your done with port forwarding
now you are going to need to set up your server with all the addons you want (you get to pick e’m!)

Now setting your self as admin, first you need to start your server and join it then minimize GMod then goto the server window click on the players tab find you and wright down you Steam ID
now close GMod and your server then open your server folder open the folder orangebox open garrysmod then open settings now look for users.txt open it now it probably won’t look to recognizable as anything
now hold CTRL and press A then click Delete now replace copy all this:
From after this line
“Users”
{
//
// This is your users file
//
// You can use this file to add people as admins on your server
// Add them to the relevant section
//
// If you’re a Lua coder you can add your own sections and use them
// in your script by doing pl:IsUserGroup( “admin” ) etc
//

"superadmin"

{
	"your name"		"your steam id"
	""		""
}

"admin"
{
	""			""
}

}

Until before this line
and replace your name with you steam name and your steam id with your steam id that you got just before this (and leave the quotes on both of them)
Then save it and close it. Now for an Admin script i like ULX go here http://ulyssesmod.net/?UL=download download the ULX with Ulib (i think the third)
and install it (note that the default install directory for the server folder is srcds so just replace that with you server folder name), now to use admin commands type this in the chat !menu and that will bring up the admin menu there are sortcuts
for all the commands but I’m not going to talk about those.

and for updating your server open the command prompt cd (go back if you forgot how) to the server folder and type this

hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server (and replace server with your server folder name)

If you have any questions or Comments just post away.

Thanks! (I hope this helps!)

When it ask’s the server ip address what do you put because there are load’s of ip address’s to pick from.

Do you mean the router ip the gmod server ip? or what? Also are you talking about the portforward.com parts or not?

When i portfoward on the Livebox it asks for a server ip and when i type in the ip from the dedicated server it says wrong internal ip.

Also when you say this. “and for updating your server open the command prompt cd (go back if you forgot how) to the server folder and type this…”
the “command prompt?” is that were you go to the start menu and click run. and type command??

Well for opening the command prompt fallow this part "For XP users fallow number 1 and Vista users number 2

1: open the start menu click Run and type cmd and hit enter, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff.

2: open the start menu click All Programs find Accessories click it now click Command Prompt, now there should be a black box with some letters and stuff."

As for your port forwarding problem I looked at the livebox guide and when it asks for the server IP put in the static IP of your computer (the first portforward.com guide)

Hopes this help! :slight_smile:

Sorry double post… :frowning:

(just trying to something with this post…)

Tell me if that works!
/ / / / / / /

Soo i use static IP
i have been tolled to use my static IP , my lan ip , and my computer’s ip! so i will now try static IP and when i have finished it should work then.
I will reply soon

Thanks for the guide, I’ll have to try that out. Just a quick question, is there any way I can set a password to only allow my friends to join? How would I do that? Thanks.

sv_password “thepasswordyouwant”

this should get locked with yellow text at the top of the Server Hosting Forum :smiley:

When you start the server on the “main” tab there’s going to be settings like map and things like that, one of them is player passowrd, just set that to whatever you want.

Thanks! :smiley:

Also I’m thinking of making some bat scripts to make it easier to set up (so all you gotta do is click wait and run) and If you think that’s a good Idea tell me.

How do I configure it? I have the armpit one. There is absolutely nothing in the configure tab. Please help!

How do you update you’re dedicated server?

When I enter C:\Myserver, I get somtheing that says that it’s not noticed as command.

When I do this:

Now when it is done type this hldsupdatetool -command update -game garrysmod -dir C:\server and replace server with the folder you made at the start

It does the same thing as doing the step before it. I don’t know what is wrong with it.

Nothing happened.

It just brought back up the installer.

This is just tops! I have been wanting to do this for months now. Thank you!

you need to cd to the directory it installed into, eg

cd C:/Program Files/Valve/HLServer

When i try to install it the command prompt says checking bootstrapper version… then closses

Hey, First of all, i would like to say, Great Tutorial! This is a very well done tutorial(its follow not fallow) And I’m just wondering why my Server does not show up in the server’s list? i have my ports forwarded to my static IP - address and it shows up when i start my server, but my server just doesn’t show up? I don’t understand why? If you could, please help me…? Thank you very much.