GMod - What are you working on? January 2015 (#41)

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/insertcoin/files/2014/06/flappy-bird.jpg

Time to fap that Agree button.

[editline]21st January 2015[/editline]

We should make a hashtag for this.
#couldvemadethat

http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en/scrn/45000/45182/super-mario-3-mario-forever-08-700x525.png

There’s too much stuff for everyone to make, so don’t feel bad. Make something new.

i’m always so, so very envious of people who can actually make effects. Those are so, so very beautiful and fitting, and the sounds add to it even more and it all comes together amazingly!

Second day back into GLua, and so far I’ve got certain things to work, including returning the crosshair back to the pitch value of your first bullet after a series of bullets (like in Counter-Strike), as well as somewhat randomized recoil as a whole. (I don’t like guessable/easy to memorize recoil patterns.) I haven’t done anything with inaccuracy/cones yet, because I’m working on my own ShootBullet function, which does multiple traces to simulate bullet drop:

I’m not a huge fan of bullet drop, though, so in my gamemodes it will probably be super negligible. I’ve exaggerated it for this demonstration.

Like, two weeks ago I sent Rockmania a message on ScriptFodder asking if I could make an achievement pack for him and sell it as DLC. Since he never responded I was like ‘you know, I think I’m at a stage where I can make a whole achievement system’

I still haven’t found a colour scheme I really like. I know the close button and scroll-bar are out of place and need work. The small extra bit at the bottom was going to be, like, a search bar but I may scrap it entirely. I showed my friend and he said that the font on the left buttons looks bad, which is fair enough since it’s fuckin default

I drew all the icons in white and greys, so users can decide their own colour in the config, as well as highlight them when the user has completed the achievement.

Completion message:

I’ve also made a bunch of trails as completion rewards:

http://puu.sh/eOGe9/06b5735c5b.jpg

I’ve so far written 56 achievements, each with their own icon, and have a config to go with it, too. Progress has kinda slowed this last week since I need to figure out how to handle saving/retrieving data. Like, my friend is helping with do MySQL for it, but I’m kinda struggling a lot.

Have you tried message him with korean? :v:

Well, Enough of joke, I’m just fixing bugs and coding small stuffs for NutScript.
Not really visually impressive, I’m currently figuring out how to gather generic hl2 vehicles and other script vehicles in one piece.

Currently I’ve made common fuel system for generic hl2 and scar vehicles.

http://i.imgur.com/mZ9Bj1z.png[/t]
[t]http://i.imgur.com/l8J1B7u.png[/t]
[t]http://i.imgur.com/rkWmnLy.png

Decided to finish my adminmod UI.

I quite like the black colored one you have, Are you going to be releasing your admin mod or ? Because I wouldn’t mind using it if you did release it, I need a replacement for ULX

I swear you’re by far the best Graphics designer I’ve seen, I love seeing you post your work since it’s so good looking

It will probably stay private as long as I have a use for it.

I keep saying this to you over and over but please just use a NoSQL solution, either JSON encoded data saved to a text file or MongoDB or anything but relational SQL; your data is going to be wide column and MySQL simply isn’t designed for that, which is why you’re having trouble getting anywhere.

I can’t remember how to print screen on a MAC but I looked up MongoDB because I’ve never really seen it mentioned on FP. Found this and apparently it’s windows only which could be pretty bad:

Cmd-Shift-3 (Cmd-Shift-4 to select a region to capture).

Auto saves to desktop.

Did the soldiers set themselves in a line formation or did you just spawn them like that?
Anyway, that’s pretty fucking cool.

How is that wide column? Relational databases are pretty much perfect for storing achievement data, because you can do things like querying how many players have specific achievement id or whatever.

“don’t struggle honey”

Working on getting existing software more compatible with garrysmod :v, I want my wii remote fully working.

So far i’ve got the A B 1 and 2 buttons to register properly, but no dice on the plus minus home or directional pad.

The pointing just controls my cursor, the lazy way. If i tried to implement it in any other way, it would woosh my camera.

No good/finished nosql modules for gmod are released afaik. But it’s so little data, a simple json encoded text field in mysql will still perform better than json files (because you can run the queries async). If you use json files you also can’t do cross server achievements which would suck.

What? Relational databases are pretty much the polar opposite of perfect for storing achievement data, because the data is wide column. Please show me how a relational table structure would look and how in anyway it would be better than a NoSQL solution.

please no

I know that this is not true for all cases but in gmod we don’t have async file I/O so every read/write will block the server. Even if the actual read/write is faster the server will still perform worse.

What do you think is faster? Reading from a file or from a remote database?
What if you have to search on a property that is within the json?
If json in a MySQL database is a good solution, why not have one table with one column and one row with all data in json format?

Anyway if achievements can always be described as progress/total I guess it could be done in a relational database:
Achievement | id, name, description, total
PlyAchievement | ply, achievement_id, progress

Where PlyAchievement.progress >= Achievement.total means the achievement is achieved. Retrieving a list of Achieved achievements is expensive, but that could be resolved with a redundant PlyAchievement.Achieved field.

Where total could be “1” for things you need to do only once (e.g. say secret phrase).

This would get problematic when there are achievements with no discernible “progress” or when you want to keep track of how far you got in a last attempt. E.g. “Play for over 8 hours” -> “best attempt: 4 hours”.
In that sense relational databases can limit the kind of achievements you can make and their functionalities.