Good Server Host for Hardcore Gmod'ing? (Build To Kill Style Servers)

I’ve recently set up a server, and by recently, I mean around 2 months ago, which is relatively recent compared to most servers, as a build to Kill style server.
The Kill Box, my server, has been fairly successful during those two months, attracting around 10 -12 players a day, and half of those great builders! -
Like any server owner, I want the best possible experience for my players, which has a directly correlates to my Server’s Host’s Strength.

I started using xenonServers, but they proved simply too weak to uphold the types of contraptions that we build, (ACF and GDC armed contraptions, usually 150 + props), even those with a 1:1 prop to constraint ratio. I then moved on to Redspeed servers, and they proved, to not only be half as much as xenon, but immensely better. However, even then, I still am not completely satiated with their performance.

• So - I’m reaching out to the Facepunch community and requesting anyone who knows of a better host, preferably in the United states, to tell me!

Thanks - Pincil1 - Or Arsenios (Steam)
Edit: If you’re allowing finances to effect your decision on the “best” server, please note that I only plan for a maximum at 12 players at any given time

You should try searching a bit around in the GMod section. There’s literally like 5 of these threads created every week and there’s usually the same couple hosters that get their mention.

I definitively have, however and unfortunately, the majority of threads concerning the best server hosting have all been based around Rp. I’m aiming towards one of those “hidden gem” style host servers. Xenon for example, while being mainstream, is a terrible host for build servers. UkGaming was an option for me, but since its hosted on the other-side of the world, I would like to search for a more favorable, IE closer, host. Thanks for commenting btw.

We should really get a “best game server providers” sticky and just have the users vote which are the best.

Really, if you want a very good server, you would probably be better off shelling out for a dedicated server or at a VPS. GSPs will always use limited amounts of resources on their boxes and have multiple servers per box, I had a similar issue not long ago…I didnt mind paying a moderate price (£25-40) per month for a server, but I just couldnt find a GSP that offered services in that range, they were all £8-15 and after testing a few before I knew for a fact they wouldnt be very good quality.

With a dedicated box you will have a lot more processing power/RAM at your disposal and much much more control over the server (As well as room for a website/fastdl/Teamspeak), but unfortunately the Source Engine can only handle so much, no matter how much power you put behind it you’ll still see performance drops with extreme amounts of props/constraints.

[quote=“Cushie, post:5, topic:100896”]

Really, if you want a very good server, you would probably be better off shelling out for a dedicated server. GSPs will always use limited amounts of resources on their boxes and have multiple servers per box, I had a similar issue not long ago…I didnt mind paying a moderate price (£25-40) per month for a server, but I just couldnt find a GSP that offered services in that range, they were all £8-15 and after testing a few before I knew for a fact they wouldnt be very good quality.

Just how well would this system Range?
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System Type: 64 Bit Operating System

I’m not a huge expert on servers but if I remember correctly not a lot of RAM is needed, a server with 20 players in would probably take in the region of 500mb - 1gb. Not sure about the CPU usage though.

Might want to wait for someone who is better versed in that area to reply, I’m not sure which hosts are good for VPS/dedicated boxes.

Alright, thanks a load for the support though, you’ve given me (not too much) a lot to think about!