Gungaym- I'm surprised no one released a Gun Game gamemode yet

A little pet project I’ve been working on for a while now, I think it’s finally ready for public release V2! Since my original publish, I’ve added a not shitty HUD (credits to cowabanga), more weapons, a new recoil system that makes your bullets go above your crosshairs, battle chatter and much much more!

Here’s a list of the features:
*Randomized gun order- No round is the same as the last one (unless the random gun order just happens to be the same as the last one, which is technically possible). This means you won’t have to worry about making sure everything is balanced in it’s order, so you won’t get stuck with a shitty pistol if you fall behind early on while everyone else has a badass rocket launcher
*Battle chatter- Pretty primitive right now, you whine when you die and sometimes you say a “witty” one liner when you kill someone. I’ll be fleshing this out more later, with special lines for reloading your gun, burning people, sniping people, exploding people and more!
*Easy to add custom weapons- Gmod is popular because of how easy it is to make custom content, and I’m piggybacking on that trend by making it somewhat easy to add custom weapons into gungaym! Whether you want a dildo launcher or a grenade launcher that shouts “onii chan~” when you fire it, as long as you can make a basic SWEP, you can have it! I’ve included a few custom weapons I took from garrysmod.org for examples, see “weapon_dildo” and “gy_onii_launcher” and look at “wepgen.lua” to figure out how to do stuff, or just contact me on here.
*Easy-ishhh map arming system- You know that really cool map arming system that TTT uses? Well I stole that system (thanks Bad King!) and used it in gungaym so that you can mess with the spawn locations on premade maps to fit the hectic deathmatch vibe that GY has. Standard CS maps won’t work very well with this gamemode since they only have 2 spawn locations, so I’d recommend using the custom map scripts that are on the Github (in the maps/ folder). NOTE: The Steam Workshop version does not have these map scripts because the Workshop does not allow .txt files!!! You will have to add the files to your server from the github yourself!!!

Here are a few screenshots!

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1099167081539986254/E8DE5211CBCEB39C00D5A716F6939D3E8B73CD26/[/t]
[t]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/1099167081539990732/9043CA3E25E52B7A2C7C9077D987D17298B26E19/[/t]
[t]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1099167081539999185/21796C53B060CACB23CE6781033F40F09CC31F51/

Here’s a video by someone who’s apparently famous and is cool and stuff:

Here’s a link to the github, and you can join a little server I have set up at “shapsgungaym.game.nfoservers.com:27015”. If you have any suggestions or insight, fire away! If you want to put up a server of your own or ask me a few questions about how to do shit, just post here or tell me over steam, I promise I won’t bite! Also, we’re now on steam workshop right here, but because the SW version doesn’t have the map scripts, I would heavily advise just grabbing the Github version. Thanks again for checking this out, and have fun!

i played a few rounds
its pretty good

in the video when you had the sniper at around 15 seconds in, you forgot the 360 noskope bunnyhop shit.

Other than that, the HUD is better than all the DarkRP HUDs I’ve seen.

We need some quake sounds up in here

Great gamemode. I have it running on my server right now (with credit to you of course). The only problem is with the sniper scopes. When you zoom in it gives you a pink and black checkered square instead of the scope.

Screenshot:

Huh, a few people reported that, but it’s hit and miss (some have it, some don’t blah blah), but it works for me

I’ll check the material to see if I messed up somehow

Oh hey, I’m in that video
also, this gamemode is beautiful

Nice, loved gun gami in cs:s.

It’s not really like CS gungame, it’s much more fast paced, what with sprinting and no accuracy penalties for moving

I am getting errors on all the guns. Here is the error log:

*[ERROR] gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua:64: attempt to call method ‘Bang’ (a nil value)

1. unknown - gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua:64

Timer Failed! [Simple][@gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua (line 64)]

[ERROR] gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua:65: attempt to call method ‘Bang’ (a nil value)

1. unknown - gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua:65

Timer Failed! [Simple][@gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua (line 65)]
[ncrdefense12|36|STEAM_0:1:45435924] Lua Error:

[ERROR] gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua:64: attempt to call method ‘Bang’ (a nil value)

[ERROR] gamemodes/gungame/entities/weapons/gy_glock/shared.lua:64: attempt to call method ‘Bang’ (a nil value)

Dropped ncrdefense12 from server (“Too many Lua Errors! Sorry!”)
Dropped cchitterling from server (Disconnect by user.)*

Welp, I got it, it’s a problem with me being lazy about the Glock/Famas’ burst functions when you die midburst. I told myself I would fix that before release but I forgot, I’ll put out a patch tonight when I get home.

You should probably swap the NWVars in the SWEPs to use DTVars.

Alright cool. Its actually getting pretty popular on my server. Just wanted to let you know that I think people like it :wink:

Released an update on Github, fixed the bursts and I believe I fixed the scope, I don’t experience the issue so I’m not sure.

As for the DTVars, I’ll probably get around to it soon, but most of the weapon stuff was just the old CS base. I’ll probably update it soon.

Any other requests?

Scopes on snipers are still not fixed for me. I don’t know if its me or the gamemode…

[editline]3rd April 2013[/editline]

Also, just to be sure I updated it correctly, in this patch you added “Welcome to gun game by Shaps” on spawn correct?

Yep. And I dunno, maybe I have to precache the sprite. As I said, I never had this problem so I dunno, but I’ll check again tomorrow

I’m not sure if this was ever announced, but developers should now use NetworkVars (not to be confused with NWVars) instead of DTVars; see the notice of deprecation here.

I just refer to it as DTVars since NetworkVar makes a DTVar.

WELP, just realized I left a little debug thing in where the client prints “fuck” in the console about 15 times when a player joins, since I had been having trouble with the death notices… Sent out a patch on github, boy do I feel stupid heh

Finally got around to doing some SRS updates for this! Among them is a new, slightly less shitty HUD!

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1118301132964532567/C0D55BD6939FD04C8CD6D99AC4C175B109D92D25/

Big props to Cowabanga for the mock-up for it! He had a better health bar, but as I said before, I’m awful with HUD’s and ended up with that. woo.

Anyways, here are the last two changes I’ve pushed out on the Github

Basically, the biggest things are that I stole TTT’s map arming system (once again, thanks Bad King), and I modified (slightly edited “ttt” to “gy”) the arming tool to work with the GY spawns and medkits. Oh, also, I added medkits which can spawn around the maps and heal you for 50 health. You can overheal with them, and you can find the convars for overhealing in “gy_overheal_”, where you can adjust decay and max health. I also made the ironsights less shit, and now you have to hold down the RMB to stay aiming. This is great, because using your ironsights no longer causes your gun to spaz out like they do on crappy DarkRP servers, so woo! There are a lot of other little changes included too, like scopes being fixed (thought the TTT scopes came bundled with Gmod, guess not :p), so make sure to check out the changelog if you’re interested!

I’ve also included a few sample map scripts for cs_office, de_aztec and de_dust2. I’ll try and add some more in the coming days, but if you want to help out and contribute, the tool is included in the github, so you can send me your scripts and I’ll distribute them for everyone else to use!

That’s about it, I’ll try and update the OP with better organization and a more up to date video soon, honestly it looks like crap. If I’ve missed anything or you have any questions/concerns, feel free to poke me on Steam or here, I’ll be happy to answer any questions! And of course, if you set up a server, post the IP here so we can get a small list together! Thanks, and have fun