Hi fellow mappers,
so, lately, I’ve been watching lots of Metal Gear Solid let’s plays again, and since my main projekt is stuck anyway due to an issue with Hammer, I thought I’d pick up an idea I had quite some time ago, which was creating a proof-of-concept map for Half-Life² that incorporates some stealth elements into the gameplay. Since I don’t know shit about modding source code, it’d be mapping only.
So I wrote up some ideas and I thought, why not ask around whether anybody’s got more ideas to add to this list. So far I’ve thought of these:
- using “toolsblocklos” (block line-of-sight) brushes to enable the player to look through windows or past barricades without being spotted by enemies by making the brushes a good bit bigger than the obstacle, making sure the player can be seen while standing but not while sneaking.
- using game logic to set enemies’ state to “idle” some time after they lost sight of the player (if I recall correctly, npc_combine_s and such fire an output when they lost their enemy).
- misusing func_tank as security camera by setting their damage to zero and setting their sounds to silent, then parenting a camera model to them. This way, they’ll spot the player and aim the “camera” prop at him (and, via outputs, subsequently alert soldiers) but do no damage.
- modelling triggers (vertex edit) to emulate the viewcones of cameras (static props), perhaps with added dustmote effect to visualise the line-of-sight. These viewcones would cover most of a hallway, for example, but leave space to evade them.
- using game logic similar to the Half-Life² battery puzzle to detect the presence of props identified as chaff grenades or jamming devices to allow the player to disable surveillance measures - prompting soldiers to investigate (via ai_goal_assault, clearing rally points) but giving players a time span to pass through an area unseen.
This is what I thought of so far. The list seems pretty good to me, but I feel like I’m missing something, so… anybody got stuff or suggestions to add to this list?