Half Life World

So guys, i am here asking if it would be possible to combine all the Half Life 2 maps, even from Episode 1 and 2. Get rid of the scripted sequences and NPC’s and have it as a HUGE RP world, perhaps with loading screens if having it fully free roaming would be impossible? it’d essentially be valve’s original maps, just combined into one huge half life world. Is it possible?

Nope the map would go over the sizelimit.

It’d go way over the map’s limit. Hammer only supports something about a half of a mile AFAIK.

Not possible.

Now I wish that Valve made some new super advanced version of hammer that would support maps like this.

You can probably combine few maps, but not all of them.

Disappointing to say the least. So even if we combined all these maps with loading screens?

You can’t combine maps with loading screens, the loading screens you get when you play hl2 is for loading a new map, so if you were to load a new area, it would have to load a new area for everyone. For instance when you go through a tunnel on the coast, you’re not just loading a new area, you’re loading a new map. good idea, unfortunately not possible yet.

Well would it be possible to create a world with loading screens then?

Please read this again: You can’t combine maps with loading screens, the loading screens you get when you play hl2 is for loading a new map, so if you were to load a new area, it would have to load a new area for everyone. For instance when you go through a tunnel on the coast, you’re not just loading a new area, you’re loading a new map. good idea, unfortunately not possible yet.

Source has been designed to handle small worlds. The max physical size is half a mile cubed, and there are brush and entity limits on top of that. Combining all the maps is not possible due to these limits.

Source levels are made up of several individual map files. When you enter a loading screen in the game, you are loading a different map file, the only persistance is with your char stats and inventory.

The only thing that has been theorised, is to have a server change at a loading point. So, if you are in a flat map, going through a door to the north takes you to a city server, south might take you to a docks server. Each server handles a different map, it is not all one.

not going to happen either

Even if the idea was possible, it still would be pretty difficult to get done. You have to figure in the sky boxes, the 3D skyboxes, the lighting, (Since something like Ravenholm wouldn’t even seem scary if it was bright).

99% positive that most of the maps would overlap with each other if you tried to combine them.

Well I decompiled Ineu pass, just for you, which is essential three valve official maps from EP2 with some custom well made areas. So went and decompiled those too because Valve didn’t release the VMFs of those, all three of those VALVE maps nearly take up the source grid size itself, the guy also squeezed in custom terrain as well. The problem with merging these maps is that you get a lot of world holes too, so the world is even more laggy, however what he doesn’t use is the top of the map space, so you can technically stack several more Episode 2 maps on top of each other, although I don’t know how well that would preform. It’s simply not possible as stated before.

You could put some maps on top of each other on the grid, and every time you finish one, you just teleport on the one on top. This can be also done with world portals if someone manages to port those.

That’s actually a pretty good idea.

Oh the innocence

Why has no one tried having different maps spread across servers, and when you get to a map change point, it transfers you to another server with the proper map? Seems very achievable to me, and would keep the HL2 world flowing.

You would probably hit entity and brish limits.