Hammer cannot compile a map because Windows cannot find the file

This only started happening recently.
I will edit a map, save it, but when I run the updated version of the map it runs the old version.

I tried working around this by saving the updated map version under a different name, when I did that Hammer would still load the map preview, I could still edit the new version of the map. However, the compiler says:
“The following error has occured: Windows reports it cannot find the file, continue anyways?”

“Windows reports it cannot find the file” leads me to believe that it is not a problem with Hammer loading the same map, but rather Windows Explorer not overwriting a cached file maybe.

Anyways, I had set custom start-up options for Windows, when I kept recieving these errors however, I reset all default start-up variables.

Even then, I still get the same problem.
Any idea whats going on?

I would post screenshots but Flickr is being dumb.

Full compile log:
"
** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2.vmf”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Sep 15 2011)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2.vmf
Error: displacement found on a(n) func_detail entity - not supported (entity 1, brush 0)

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” -fast “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Sep 15 2011)
fastvis = true
2 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vrad.exe”
** Parameters: -both -game “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Sep 15 2011)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[48 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2.bsp

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_miners_coast2.bsp” “c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\gm_miners_coast2.bsp”

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
“The system cannot find the file specified.”"

EDIT:
I’ve done that, and Hammer will compile the new version of the map now.

However, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 now crashes when I try to load the map
also, sometimes vrad.exe will crash with a BEX Problem Event Name.

I can google that though, it’s a relatively short problem summary as opposed to posting an entire compile log in google search.

Thanks for the help!

Post your full compile log

Ok, here’s your error.

“Error: displacement found on a(n) func_detail entity - not supported (entity 1, brush 0)”

You can’t turn an entity created from a brush into a displacement, that will cause it to compile incorrectly. Go find whatever entity you did that to and press “To world”. The to world button should be on the far right side, lower bottom of the hammer screen (I think just above where you choose the default entity spawner).

I misworded this. You can’t turn a displacement into an entity.

Here this is in steps:

1. Press Map on the top bar (next to Edit).
  2. Press Entity Report.
  3. Double click on all func_details (assuming your map is pretty small) making sure none are displacements.
  4. If one is a displacement, go press that to world button.
  5. Recompile.

I also occasionally get vrad.exe crashes when compiling, but when I try again it works so it’s just a problem I’ve gotten used to.

As for half life 2 episode 2 crashing, I use Garry’s Mod for the sole reason that people can play either single or multiplayer on Garry’s Mod and for that reason will likely choose it to play the map on as opposed to Episode 2. So, for that reason I use Garry’s Mod to test to see how it will react in the one the players will choose, not the one that will look better.