Hammer doesn't compile lighting (with light_enviroment, no leaks)

First Off, YES, I did put a light_enviroment, and i have a skybox.
0 Leaks.
When I compile the map for some reason it doesnt show up ingame.
Also starting over isn’t a reason since i spent about 6 months on this map.
If you need my vmf just ask for it, i don’t want anyone stealing it.
Here’s my compile log

** Executing...
** Command: "d:\steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\customConfig" "d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (May 14 2014)
4 threads
materialPath: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\customConfig\materials
Loading d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.vmf
***need to set $abovewater for material nature/water_riverbed01
***need to set $abovewater for material nature/water_riverbed01
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Could not locate 'GameData' key in d:\steam\steamapps\common\source sdk base 2013 multiplayer\customconfig\gameinfo.txt
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendgrassgravel001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendgrassgrass001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/de_tides/blendgrassstonepath_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendcliffgrass001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendmilground008_8b_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/de_train/blendgrassdirt001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/concrete/blendconcreterock001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendrockrock007c_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blenddirtgrass001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendcondirt001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/de_chateau/rockf_blend_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendsandgrass008a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_gray_forest/nature/blendprodasphaltgrass_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
Material glass/glasswindowbreak070b is depending on itself through materialvar $crackmaterial! Ignoring...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...***need to set $abovewater for material nature/water_riverbed01_beneath
***need to set $abovewater for material nature/water_riverbed01_beneath
done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 532 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (1)
writing d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/realsky6_HDR*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/realsky6_HDR*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges.
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
done (1) (21256041 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9Material NATURE/DIRTFLOOR001A uses unknown detail object type citygrass01!
Material NATURE/DIRTFLOOR001A uses unknown detail object type citygrass01!
.Material NATURE/BLENDSANDGRASS008A uses unknown detail object type coastline_grass01!
Material NATURE/BLENDSANDGRASS008A uses unknown detail object type coastline_grass01!
Material NATURE/BLENDSANDGRASS008A uses unknown detail object type coastline_grass01!
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 848 texinfos to 561
Reduced 381 texdatas to 303 (18293 bytes to 15283)
Writing d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.bsp
12 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "d:\steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -fast -game "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\customConfig" "d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 14 2014)
fastvis = true
4 threads
reading d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.bsp
reading d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.prt
 725 portalclusters
2539 numportals
BasePortalVis:       0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (2)
Optimized: 14191 visible clusters (2.90%)
Total clusters visible: 489530
Average clusters visible: 675
Building PAS...
Average clusters audible: 719
visdatasize:136062  compressed from 139200
writing d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.bsp
2 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "d:\steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -staticproppolys -bounce 2 -noextra -game "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\customConfig" "d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (May 14 2014)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
4 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[2 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.bsp
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (97.74 seconds)
16310 faces
33499720 square feet [4823959552.00 square inches]
1368 Displacements
7432188 Square Feet [1070235136.00 Square Inches]
16310 patches before subdivision
zero area child patch
zero area child patch
zero area child patch

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "d:\desktop\mapping\in progress\gmod\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.bsp" "D:\Desktop\Mapping\In Progress\GMOD\gm_gray_forest\gm_gray_forest.bsp"

from your compile Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges. its not a major error but it can cause lighting problems the only way to fix it is to remake the displacemets that and you ran fast vis run vis normal or -final :slight_smile:

Yes, i know that site, and it doesn’t show anything

[editline]11th May 2016[/editline]

Thanks for the reply,
I’ve compiled it both using normal and final but it still doesn’t show the lighting. And the displacement thing only affects the immediate area where the displacements intersect, so i still have no idea what’s the problem, one thing i forgot to post is that i use source multi-tool but it didn’t cause any problems earlier i used it.

what angle did you put for the pitch in the light_enviroment ??
can you post screen shot so we can see :slight_smile:

Thank you for not abandoning me,
-75 is the pitch, and the level isnt dark, its in fullbright mode.
Also when i compiled a smaller bit of the map, the lighting worked perfectly, but when i compile the whole map it doesnt work.
Here’s the screencap ingame -

This is your problem. It causes vrad.exe to stop entirely.

I searched around and found this post

What it basically suggests is that you screwed up a brush when vertex editing it. Try hiding all the brushes you performed complex vertex editing on and compiling.

Thanks for the info, but i’ve fixed it myself, apparently if you have a hollow box with only nodraw on it, it breaks the lighting.

You can have as many hollow boxes of nodraw as you like. This does not affect the global lighting unless you manipulated your hollow boxes of nodraw in some way that breaks the brushes that it consists of

well i have no idea what i didn’t even ungroup it and didn’t use the vertex tools at all on the map. Maybe they just got corrupted or something.