Hammer Fails to compile my map

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\betaone.bsp" "\betaone.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "The system cannot find the file specified."

Whats going wrong? I have used the interlopers log checker to no avail, and have changed the name and directories with no results.

The directory I am using is $SteamUserDir\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps
I also tried $SteamUserDir\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf

[editline]03:33AM[/editline]

If you need anymore information please ask, I was not sure what might be needed.

Oh, and that is the complete log file.

If that’s the complete log, Hammer’s obviously not configured correctly and isn’t even making an attempt to launch VBSP, VRAD and VVIS. Has the map (or any other map) ever compiled successfully under this configuration?

No, The error started about a week ago, without any changes being made, I gave up on it until recently, when I reinstalled hammer. The configuration I am using is a custom one made for garrysmod, I made it because the map I was originally going to edit for my community had both hl2 and css textures in it. I used the guide on the garrysmod wiki.

The only fgd’s I’m using are:
base,hl2,hl2dm, and css

-snip-

I can’t read

As I already said, that IS the complete log.

Did you check the boxes for the rest of the compile?

What do you mean? which boxes? I have never had to check any boxes before, so I haven’t done anything like that yet, when I go to run the map, all three of the options are set to normal, and all four of the boxes in expert are checked ($bsp_exe $vis_exe $light_exe copy file $game_exe)
under command is $bsp_exe and under parameters is -game $gamedir $path$file ensure file post-exists: is not checked and use process window is checked

[editline]05:11AM[/editline]

I just tried running it from the expert dialogue it gave a lot more information, but still it stopped with the same error, and when I tell it to continue anyway it cashes hammer.

** Executing...
** Command: ""
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\betaone"

* Could not execute the command:
   "" -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\betaone"
* Windows gave the error message:
   "Access is denied."

** Executing...
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\betaone"

"" -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\betaone"
   "Access is denied."

** Executing...

"Access is denied."

** Executing...
** Parameters: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\betaone.bsp" "\betaone.bsp"

[editline]05:14AM[/editline]

It just occurred to me… I am running windows 7… Could user account control be stopping it?

[editline]05:15AM[/editline]

No… It still gives out the same error even with user account control disabled

[editline]05:17AM[/editline]

I just tried disabling my virus scanners real-time protection, that didn’t fix it either.

UAC could be causing the problem. Maybe running Hammer as Administrator?

hm, I have already tried it with UAC disabled, but I went ahead and tried running it as an administrator, it did not change anything, I also tried running it in comparability mode for windows xp SP 3, no good either.

[editline]05:40AM[/editline]

In case there is a chance it is the map, all it is right now is a sealed cube with water in the bottom.

[editline]05:40AM[/editline]

And a spawn. just above the water

No, that not the problem. If its sealed, it should be fine…

[editline]12:53AM[/editline]

Oh! Restart steam. I had this problem once and that solved it for some reason…

I’ll try it, I may be a bit in responding if it worked or not, Steam likes to crash when I launch it.

[editline]06:03AM[/editline]

No, restarting steam did not fix it.

Why would hammer not even be attempting to start compiling the map? Is there a setting somewhere beyond what I have already mentioned? Short of hammer… Does anyone know where I can find a working compiler? I have found a few, but I can’t seem to get the to work.

[editline]06:45PM[/editline]

Alright, I seem to have it compiling, but now its still giving me the missing file error.

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul  7 2010)
4 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\materials
Error opening C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.vmf: File C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.vmf, line 1: No such file or directory.

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul  7 2010)
4 threads
reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters:  -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul  7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
4 threads
Could not find lights.rad in lights.rad.
Trying VRAD BIN directory instead...
Warning: Couldn't open texlight file c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\lights.rad.
Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.bsp

** Executing...
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\dm_test.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps \dm_test.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: c:\program files\steam\steam.exe
** Parameters: -applaunch 4000 -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ryladine\garrysmod\garrysmod"  +map "dm_test"

the interlopers.net log checker is saying.

could not find lights.rad in lights.rad

Description:
Vrad.exe couldn't find lights.rad, a file used to determine which textures can emit light by themselves.

Solution:
Move to/make a new lights.rad in the right directory. You should search for the file in your mod's directory, most mods have one.

the guide it has on doing that is a bit confusing… any anyone give me some help with it?

[editline]07:16PM[/editline]

Alright I made a blank text document and placed it in garrysmod/garrysmod and that has corrected the missing file error, I think I have it all working now, thanks to everyone who tried to help me, the issue seems to have been that hammer failed to save the locations for the vis, rad, and bsp .exe’s when I set them.

Take a wild guess.