Hammer fails with Garry's mod config.

So i’m not using the EP2 config, because i need CSS and Gmod content (gm_construct textures etc)

I have extracted:
counter-strike source shared.gcf
episode two materials.gcf
garrysmod content.gcf
source materials.gcf

To my garrysmod/garrysmod folder.

The config looks like this:

http://puu.sh/7kv0

garrysmod.fgd, cstrike.fgd and halflife2.fgd

http://puu.sh/7kv7

Please note that C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps is symlinked to F:/steamapps

The console log comes out like this: (All textures look fine in hammer)

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\goz3rr\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod" "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf\derpmap.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Oct 17 2011)
4 threads
materialPath: F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\materials
Loading F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf\derpmap.vmf
Can't find surfaceprop grass for material GM_CONSTRUCT/GRASS, using default
Can't find surfaceprop default_silent for material TOOLS/TOOLSSKYBOX, using default
Could not locate 'GameData' key in f:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\gameinfo.txt
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf\derpmap.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/militia_hdr*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/militia_hdr*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (2281 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 7 texinfos to 3
Reduced 3 texdatas to 3 (55 bytes to 55)
Writing F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf\derpmap.bsp
0 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\goz3rr\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod" "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf\derpmap"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Sep 15 2011)
Can't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\goz3rr\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\filesystem_steam.dll.
Can't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\goz3rr\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\filesystem_steam.dll.

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\goz3rr\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters:  -game "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod" "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf\derpmap"

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf\derpmap.bsp" "F:\steamapps\goz3rr\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\derpmap.bsp"

And when running the map the game crashes with

Engine Error!
Map with no textures!

If i use the EP2 config, everything compiles ok and works ingame but i don’t have CSS and Gmod textures.
Anyone has a solution?

Have you tried using the ordinary HL2 config?

I’ve never heard of the Garrysmod config ever working, and it’s generally avoided.

You could actually copy the css textures into your hl2 folder so you can work with them, then once the map is compiled and put into garrysmod, you should be able to see them all if you have CSS mounted. I’m not sure what you mean by Garrysmod textures though, as far as I know the only custom texture Construct has is the credits board.

So basically, do what you’ve already done to garrysmod but to HL2 or EP:2, then make the map in either of those and copy the .bsp to your garrysmod.

Okay thanks.

[editline]21st October 2011[/editline]

Now my light_env isn’t working:

http://puu.sh/7kKf

^ Fullbright with no shadows.

http://puu.sh/7kKy

The maps does have skybox textures. Skybox is set to militia_hdr

Oh wow. It appears when i make a leak in my map, the water becomes invisible, but the map is no longer fullbright and shadows appear fine…

Make sure you set mat_fullbright to 0 after playing a fullbright map. Also make sure that your brightness and ambience are different colors.

The shadows are working fine when the map has a leak. That tells me its in hammer/bsp compiler

And yeah. mat_fullbright = 0

Getting a custom GMod config that will mount all the stuff is a pain in the ass until you know how to do it
i wouldnt sugest putting everything in the garrysmod\garrysmod folder, it tends to mess things up later, but it’s your choice
it’s a pain to get it set up, but it is SO rewarding, make sure to keep track of what you use for release notes, so the community doesnt come to murder you when you dont say you need other games

You can go to map info and it shows all the used textures…

yes, but that doesnt give a full path (last time i checked) so you can’t tell if it’s off a different game without looking up each file. and because my texture, model, and such list is about 250 strong, and im not done, that’s a BIG list to sort through,
best to take notes while mapping, i know i have css stuff, hl2 stuff, tf2 stuff, and a few custom things ill be packing in

gmod configs worked once upon a time, but for some reason, they don’t anymore

What if I want to map using custom props from gmod?
Will I have to also install the models into ep2/css? I’d really prefer not to have to do that.

It is a pain, but it works.

Mine hasn’t stopped working in the past 4 years.

[editline]29th October 2011[/editline]

Edit the gameinfo.txt to include a new game line that points to the folder containing the custom content.

I have managed to get this working: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Configuring_Hammer

By changing under the build tab:

BSP $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe
VIS $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe
RAD $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe

to

BSP $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vbsp.exe
VIS $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vvis.exe
RAD $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vrad.exe

[editline]30th October 2011[/editline]

Because EP2 also does source2009 i thought i’d just give it a try!