Hammer Help: Hanging Lamp?????

ok, so I can make a regular lamp that swings with invisible rope… But when I try to add keyframe_rope and move_rope I dont know how to make it so that it moves with the lamp as it swings as if it’s connected!
Plus, putting a moving light? Attaching a light to a lamp?

And one more thing… Alot of the props in the game dont compile/load when I play the game! (portal, using portal props, static and phys)

THX, I need to get this straightned out!

Parent whichever rope entity to the light prop. This tutorial might be helpful.

Some models can’t be used as some prop types. Check the compile log for errors.

Ok, so I got the lamp to swing on the rope, but the rope wont swing itself! Bassically, the rope is solid and the lamp isn’t! Lamp just swings on a solid non-moving rope…

Did you set the parent of the keyframe as the lamp?

I didn’t! I re-compiled with the fix and the rope only shakes then stands still VERY fast… so it didnt really help much… I was expecting more of a swing…

hmm… strange, double check that every step of the tutorial was done as stated, I can’t think of any other reason for it to not be working…

I’ll list what I have for all of the stuff here:

keyframe_rope;
name, ‘kfr2’
parent, ‘lamp’

phys_lenghtconstraint;
name, ‘blank
entity 1, ‘lamp’

move_rope;
name, ‘kfr1’
parent, ‘blank
next KeyFrame, ‘kfr2’

prop_physics;
name, ‘lamp’
world model, ‘lamp_standard_off01.mdl’

DONE

===============
All of the things are alligned properly and and placed properly…
Maybe ‘slack’ and ‘speed’ in the setting of move_rope have something to do with it???

Thanks, if all else fails… you can take a look at it? Via, upload whatever…

OK, I fixed the lamp… the only problem is that when you hit it, it is bassically swings through the ceiling and walls as if it is no-collided!

And the problem with the props…

Error! To use model “models/props/table_reference.mdl”
with prop_static, it must be compiled with $staticprop!
Error loading studio model “models/props/table_reference.mdl”!
Error! To use model “models/props/bed_body_reference.mdl”
Error loading studio model “models/props/bed_body_reference.mdl”!
Error! To use model “models/props/toilet_body_reference.mdl”
Error loading studio model “models/props/toilet_body_reference.mdl”!
Error! To use model “models/props/clock.mdl”
Error loading studio model “models/props/clock.mdl”!

Help?

Some models can’t be used as some prop types. For example, a prop might work as prop_physics, but can’t be used as prop_static.

well in portal… they have the same EXACT models but, they don’t move! How do you make a prop_phys not-move?

Check the flag “Motion Disabled”.

Instead of that I changed them to “prop_dynamic” That worked! Now, how do I make it so one of the props is movable, eg. pick it up with grav gun or portal gun… (prop_physics doesn’t work on the specified prop)

And this should be last of my queries, how do I make a sound to play? (select my own sound, soundscape makes no sense)

THANKS

PS. I want it to be like when you open a door, when the door ‘starts’ it plays a sound. As in my case, when you press the button it plays the sound, but whats at the other end of the button? Button>soundscape???

to make a static prop move as a prop_physics, change the entity to a prop_physics_override, it will override the need to compile as a physics prop.

[editline]02:11PM[/editline]

and use an ambient_generic to play a single sound clip.

and use an ambient_generic to play a single sound clip.

thanks guys