Hammer vbsp Error.

I’m getting this error when compiling the vbsp: Too many unique verts, max = 65536 (map has too much brush geometry)

Is there any quick fix that does not include deleting geometry or making models?

What do you think?

No.

Seeing most of the map is a massive city i was thinking off making a square hint brush around each building then converting the buildings to func_detail?

I used to think you somewhat knew what you were doing, but that suggestion is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. Not only are func_details still a brush, but they don’t even get noticed by VVIS. Sure, you would have the right vis leaves everywhere, but you would still see them all at once.

[editline]06:21PM[/editline]

Get Crafty and export your buildings as .obj, then import and export as smd. For textures, you would only need custom VMTs to load your textures in a model shader.

I no what I’m doing i didn’t really want to do that i was just trying to work around the problem. Thanks for the advice I’m going to give it ago.

[editline]07:57PM[/editline]

Also would you be able to tell me how i would set up the vmt file? I’v never created models before.

It’s basically the exact same, but you just change the shader to one that works on models. Normally VertexLitGeneric.

There must be a way to not make models because when i create the models the textures are all screwed up. It needs to be world geometry or the map is going to look shit.

How are the textures screwed up?

Like for most of the buildings there are more than 2 textures used. I don’t no how to get the texture scale and position right on the model.

If i could get some help with this from someone that’s good at making models i could just make the map then someone can convert the complex buildings to models? If your up to it that would be awesome. If your not to sure i can always send you the vmf so you can have a look and see if its worth it.

Did you export as dxf via Hammer or as obj via Crafty?

i export the building as a vmf via hammer. The export it as an obj in crafty?

Copy all the buildings into a blank VMF, compile it, open it in Crafty, then export as obj.

Ok i wanna make sure i’m getting this right. So what steps would you take after exporting as an obj?

You would then import the obj into your modelling program, change the texture names, so that you won’t need hundreds of vmts, then export as an smd.

You would also want to make and export collision models, but you can do that with the dxf export that you already made.

Alright so doing this way will not change the texture scales and stuff on the buildings? I have heaps of custom textures and stuff and i dont really wanna go through and re-scale and align everything again.

Here are some images from inside hammer.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6976/62013030.jpg http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/62013030.jpg/1/w599.png
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2830/84820526.jpg http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/84820526.jpg/1/w511.png

Crafty will preserve texture coordinates, that’s why you use that instead of Hammer’s export.

That big box around your map better not be the skybox…

Don’t worry about that i just chucked it in so i could quickly compile it, that will be gone in the final version if i get it working that is.

[editline]10:29PM[/editline]

Thanks man, you were a great help. Hopefully i can get this working.

Just to break it down, so that it is easier to understand:

-Copy the brushes into a new map. This separates them from the rest of the map and makes it easier to make sure you only get the ones you want.
-Select all, right click and choose “move to world”. This ensures that the next step works correctly.
-Compile the map. This will remove all parallel faces, making the model more optimal.
-Open the map in Crafty’s object viewer.
-Select File>Export and choose to export as .obj.
-Import the .obj into your preferred modelling program and then follow normal procedure for compiling as a Source model.

Also, for a quick and dirty collision model (I highly recommend against this):

-Open the saved vmf of the brushes in Crafty’s object viewer.
-Select File>Export and choose to export as .obj.
-Import the .obj into your preferred modelling program and then follow normal procedure for exporting as a collision model.