Has anyone been using Source 2's new Hammer Editor?

Definitely impressive that you can manipulate vertices in engine. I only gave it a short go but have been working more-so in UE4 as of late.

Know if any indie developers are using it? I’m curious to see if it will take on like Source 1 did.

Why would anyone use it? Only thing you can do with it is make dota 2 maps. No indie dev could possibly use it - no sdk, no source code, no usable base game. Source 2 is useless and valve do’t really plan to do anything with it. Source is dead.

In 2016 the best way to go is either UE or Unity.

The Destinations worksop tools also use the Source 2 Hammer If you want to make a vr world https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Destinations/Getting_Started

Until they make a proper base game or make the tools better for more general purpose use, I think people will ignore the new tools and new engine. Source modding took off because Half Life 2 and Counter Strike were such successful and fun games, where custom maps and content could be relatively easily sideloaded and there existed a large amount of content to work with by default. This isn’t currently the case with Source 2 tools.

You are absolutely right, didn’t know about that. However, I really don’t see why anyone would use that instead of UE or unity. (Engines with a huge community and walls of documentation behind them)

I’m sure that once a proper game like L4D or Half Life uses Source 2 and Valve will release those. The Source community (That isn’t dead at all…) will rise and be on point with the UE and Unity.

At this point its safe to say that’s not going to happen.

Valve is no longer doing games with mod support (see cs:go, the last two left 4 deads - they completely killed off mods, they even killed off custom skins; they only let people make custom maps and shitty weapon paintjobs).

Furthermore, if anyone was working on l4d 3, don’t you think we would have seen some content by now? As for a new Half Life - its pretty fucking obvious at this point that that isn’t going to happen.

Source games’ playerbase isn’t dead. Source modding scene (and modding in general) IS dead. The next big thing is indie games, and Valve have shown no interest at all in releasing platforms for indies.

TBH, Garry’s mod is the only thing keeping source modding alive. And that only includes 2 remaining categories of content creators: people not skilled enough to use contemporary engines and people who have found a way to suck money out of darkrp communities via commisions.

[editline]15th September 2016[/editline]

Valve is, apart from a couple of experiments and high-profit specialized games, no longer a serious innovative AAA game developer.

Try runthinkshootlive.com and you WILL see that moding community is still there and kicking

If Source 2 can rival UE or Unity it might see use by Indie teams, but unless Valve changes its tune fast, I don’t see that happening.

Just learn to how to model and use modern workflows, unless you really want to work on Source for some very specific reason.

[editline]16th September 2016[/editline]

Agreed, for the last 5 years Valve has only supported modding insofar as it makes free content for their games, E.G CS:GO, DotA 2.

I know about that community, and Its only a shadow of what it was in the past. Again, its only maps, no real mods, and its Source 1 and even some goldsource mapping - no sign of Source 2. Its just a bunch of people somewhat stuck in the past. Don’t get me wrong here - I’m one of those people, but I’m not delusional about it.

The most fascinating thing is how many people rate disagree, but are unable to come up with a single argument to support their standpoint. At this point people are really just religiously devoted to Valve and aren’t able to see that Source modding/gamedevelopment has no future at all and is only practiced by old-school content creators who are simply used to the engine’s pipeline (INFRA team, Insurgency…)

Yes.

(among many more)

It will happen. Contrary to the memes, Valve still has around 300 people employed whose job is solely “make games”. It’s naive to think they’re going to ride the wave of CSGO gambling until their death as a company.

Source 2’s biggest benefit is that it’s 100% free to use, even for paid games, as long as the final game is published on Steam, then Valve takes a standard cut. I’m not sure how true it is, but from what I’ve heard, you’re still free to use content from all Valve games like with Source 1. That’s a huge step up from a paid asset store, or spending time/money creating every model and texture by hand. UE4 and Unity just can’t offer that + royalty-free publishing, and if Source 2 offers the same flexibility, engine capabilities, and workflow (which it seems like it does), then there’s zero reason people won’t be using it for commercial projects.

You’re right on the first half. But an engine with 0 licensing or publishing fees, a repo of free Valve content to use, promotion of your game on Steam Store, and access to SteamVR/VIVE dev tools, I’d say that’s very exciting to indie devs.

That ancient l4d3 presentation was confirmed for fake afaik. And those various leaked folders only prove that it was indev at some point - not that it still is being developed. Its much like Hl2:Ep3. We know it was in the early phases of development, but Valve abandoned a ton of projects. My primary point is that Valve never actually confirmed it was working on l4d3 (in the last couple of years). And why would they be so silent about such a well known IP? Not because they are planing some big ass surprise event after numerous years, but simply because they aren’t working on it. Correct me if I’m wrong here.

For me, It’d be naive to think they aren’t going to ride the GO/Dota2/Steam wave forever. Honestly - they have such a monopoly in those key and lucrative areas that, from a business standpoint, any new projects are more of a risk than a chance for profit.

UE4 is, for example, completely free - Epic takes its very reasonable cut, but you are free to distribute it where ever you like. Those terms sound a lot better that those Source 2 ones. As a indie dev I would never like to restrict myself to Steam as the only distribution platform. Unity also has very good licensing options, but I’m not that familiar with them.

Source 1 content? Its very outdated. Usefull - yes. A real benefit of the engine - nope.

There will always be people who will prefer Source 2 - but my key point is that we have no solid evidence whatsoever that Source 2 will be available as a game development tool at all and that by the time it is available the new generation of content creators will already be used to UE and Unity.

It’s a real slide, but we know L4D2 has been a development platform for a lot of Source 2, so it’s not exactly odd for them to remaster an existing level using the S2 toolkit.

As for a real L4D3 game being developed, maybe at one point, though the location of the left4dead3 folder on quick links suggests it was added before vr, tristan, or the other portal stuff, so it being dead is a possibility. It also not being removed could mean it’s in deep development…

If anything I expect more ‘indie’ style projects to (if not come directly…) be released because of this, think of Destinations, Kelly Bailey ‘leaving’ to work on his VR game. Because Valve is so profitable, they can get away with not releasing a AAA budgeted, marketed, and priced product every two years.

I’m skeptical if we’ll ever see a AAA SP/MP release from Valve again, but I think we’re going to see a lot more in the way of their contribution to the industry: Lots of little research projects (Like VR), small games that can explore ideas (Portal), and industry innovation (Vulkan); And maybe, just maybe they’ll release Source 2 as an open source engine.

Listen. Valve is surely taking their Sweet ass time delivering a new game/sequel to us. Probably so they can deliver us a great game like any games they released (cough Yes , to some level Alien Swarm is quite fun cough). And they are not in a rush. Want to know why? One word. Micro- transactions. TF2 and the CSGO In-game shop’s are more than a Gold mine even years after the releases of the said games. And let’s also not forget Steam…
Valve can probably not release a game for 10 if not 20 more years and still have all the money in the world to do what ever they want to do. It’s obvious that those core signature games of Valve are here to both make us not forget valve , and make themselves good old cash (And also for us to really have fun). Cash that is used to further support their developments of both public things such as VR , and in-public things , such as HL3 and L4D3. Even if not in the next 3-5 years , or more. Valve will release games once more.

Why would that be? If you remember, it took 9 years for TF2 with almost no word on that. Compared to other studios, 7 years for LA Noire, 8 years for Spore, so many more, because they were dealing with new technology at the time. In this case, it’s probably going to be Vive integration. There’s no reason they would want to fully set up VR before releasing their big titles on it?

Which is why there’s not a team of producers deciding what projects should be created and canned. Valve is self-managed, employees decide what to work on and what to release. With a constant, steady flow of income from Steam and gambling, there’s no reason not to experiment with games - or be comfortable taking a long time with them, which is what we’re seeing now.

You misunderstand, it’s not restricted to Steam. It just has to be 1 of the areas you publish, then you can go anywhere else.

I don’t understand, we have no evidence beyond Valve’s press release?

Losing a headstart to UE4 and Unity is a good point, but Source 2 has a lot of its’ own benefits - easier getting onto Steam, faster workflow, mesh editing. There’s no reason it won’t have games or developers.