I was compiling the high-poly Hyperion model from Starcraft II in 10 different parts because the compiler couldn’t handle compiling it in one part. And… this happened. I looked it up, and I tried the HLMV trick, and tried re-exporting, and nothing seemed to work.
When I was compiling a car it had 42k polys and it didnt compile while some 80+k cars did. After some time someone (TDM) told me that 3DRipper fucks up models sometimes and told me to export to obj then reimport and then proceed. I did that and it worked. Although I didnt have much success with Crysis Jeep later on…
Note that I divided that car to 12 parts and it still didnt work… I had to delete part of carrosserie to make it compile before trying method of exporting to obj and then back, then it worked for the whole car. And be careful with materials and obj if you will try anything. Each material had to be separate object (in other words no more than one material per object), only then did materials apply correctly at import (at least in my experience).
When I ripped it from SC2 using m3 import, it was already split into a couple of parts. All the materials were assigned to different models, though I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to check again. Also, in its original form, I couldn’t export it to an SMD, so I had to export as an OBJ. Maybe that’s the problem?
[editline]26th January 2012[/editline]
So the access error thing is just a generic error you get when the compiler hates you with a passion?
To minimize the effort you put into this just quickly try exporting the model to obj (with default settings) and then reimport, dont try correcting any material errors you get (if you get any), you will deal with them later. Just do this and then try compiling as static prop, this will show if it worked. But there are two differences between your problem and mine:
-you didnt use 3DRipper, so we have no clue if the model is really fucked up
-it compiled for me but crashed the game (later with crysis Jeep I get out of range error)
Basically you are playing blind, but if you got no more ideas you might aswell try this, at least youll know if it helps or not.
A lot of people has had this error, I guess it is some shit studioMDL throws at you:
As far as I understand, and what I’ve experienced (as well as some others) it an error that shows up if a very complex model is split up. The compiler can’t write into the MDL anymore but it doesn’t know the exact error (too complex) so it fails.
Usually if you were to compile the whole thing into one mesh it would throw out one of the complex tri strip errors.
Also keep in mind that face count is less important than vertex count as far as compiling goes. (I think)