Helichopter is going WILD!"

Hey i was thinking about the “Helichopter” today i got my own Server a couple of People came on the Server
farmed for a wile and than Heli came and smashed their hole base

even you cant realy kill the Heli without GODMODE the pierce DMG is Overpowerd and i think we dont have to talk about the rockets i mean well they destroy your base one Thing but the most bad think about his rockets is ONESHOT i dont get it WTH did
you think about to make that Heli so OP

Tell me what you guys think about and is it aswell on your Server that the guys leave because the heli destroyed everything?

You can kill it without godmode, but it’s damn tough without at least 3-4 REALLY GOOD players – or a dozen mediocre ones. It supposedly won’t attack unoccupied bases, but I think I’ve seen it happen (can’t really tell if someone was inside the base or not). It also tends to ignore players who are hidden and/or don’t shoot at it.

It’s a work in progress. It will get fine tuned.

EDIT: Also, my servers get badly lagged when the chopper is around. My screen will freeze for 15-20 seconds.

Actually you can solo the helicopter fairly easily if you know how it works.

I lure them in above the dome, and I do peak attacks through the openings and under the stairs, in order to shoot across its weak points until it goes down. Find rock clusters to hide behind also helps out a lot, especially if you get the helicopter to tag a player, have that player hide, and then shoot at it until it tags you - rinse and repeat.

Being in a server with more than 4 people would definitely help to make it more balanced too. It’s not the helicopter’s fault there isn’t anyone to fight it.

do share the knowledge. :slight_smile: TY.

Put up 2-3 HEWs in a T or I formation (not connecting) and hide behind them. The helicopter fires in bursts (shoots for ~3 seconds, then reloads for ~3 seconds). You keep the HEWs between you and the helicopter and pop out to fire at him while he reloads.

Helicopter only shoots rockets at people who are in a green building privilege area (presumably so you can’t lure it to destroy someone else’s base). So you can become rocket immune by placing a cabinet and not activating it.

I’ve been engaging the helicopter regularly, and have taken rocket fire while in the silent no-build zone of a pre-fab warehouse, as well as in “red” building restricted zones (paused mid-raid to shoot specifically to draw its fire at the house).

The explanation seems plausible, and I’ll have to try that “rocket immunity” cupboard, but what I’ve seen thus far doesn’t lend to that being the case.

Server owner can change the hp of heli.

There is a plugin to adjust the Heli on oxide worth a look :slight_smile:

If you can’t kill the heli then don’t shoot at it. I’ve had several times where the heli would fly over the map not attacking anyone.

Personally i’m happy the heli is hard to take down. I like the challenge.

What I dont like about the heli is that it moves too fast to hit with rockets.

[quote=“AshFirecrest, post:7, topic:212042”]

Put up 2-3 HEWs in a T or I formation (not connecting) and hide behind them. The helicopter fires in bursts (shoots for ~3 seconds, then reloads for ~3 seconds). You keep the HEWs between you and the helicopter and pop out to fire at him while he reloads.

Helicopter only shoots rockets at people who are in a green building privilege area (presumably so you can’t lure it to destroy someone else’s base). So you can become rocket immune by placing a cabinet and not activating it.

[/QUOTE]

It’s also possible to stay “safe” from the helicopter: Don’t wear more than two attire and do not equip a ranged weapon on your belt, then it will ignore you :). If you are already under fire, well, good luck.

It actively evades rockets. Spawn one in with a heli.drop, then go directly underneath it and launch a rocket. It will climb straight up fast enough to outrun the rocket. OTOH, go straight above and you’ve got a better shot.

Just for the record on people claiming you need a huge team of good players to take them down… on my server the first 2 heli kills were both done by 3 man teams. Both took 2 tries to get it.

The second kill was me and 2 other guys, we just used one of the little warehouse moments to hide from fire and had 3 bags each close enough to run back quick if we died. Took us about 200 bullets each, 5-6 syringes and 2-3 health packs to get it down.

This is with default damage/hp and none of the gear is modded on the server. It was a challenge, but far from impossible. I would probably have solo’ed it with a bit of patience.

That’s exactly my problem. You can’t or barely can even hit it with a HV rocket when flying up to it as an admin. It’s impossible to do it from the ground.

Imo either the rocket flying speed should be higher or nerf the helicopters dodging abilities.

So…just make it a moving Christmas bag of loot?

TBH as it is, the loot isn’t even worth the bullets it costs to down it… if you start wasting rockets on it who cares. Rockets do what, 185 dmg from memory? You’ll need to hit (not counting missed shots here) that thing over 50 times with rockets to down it… I don’t think the 3-4c4, the 4-5 rockets, the ak and the holosight you find in the loot crates when it’s all done are going to be enough to call it a loot bag.

Guys… Holdacious took the helico down by himself in 4 minutes with only 200 bullets, 5 medical seringues and 2 exterior stone walls. Sure you need to be a good players to beat the helico. Otherwise just hide and get away from your base as soon as you hear the helico, its not that hard isnt it?

Rust is a survival game, or course you will die. After the helico kills you 10 times, youll realize youre doing something wrong and you can adapt.

The heli is awesome, me and one friend have destroyed it twice with only 2 fails, and those times we got it to be a giant fireball that wouldn’t come down, I feel like the hard part was not getting wrecked by players once we got it down, cause we were out of meds and out of ammo lol