Help converting OBJ models into source engine

So basically I have a bunch of medical and other props that I have downloaded, but I’m not able to figure out how to convert them from OBJ into source compatible files, so I’m wondering if somebody could help me by converting them for me?

I think you would benefit more from finding out how to do it yourself.

Here’s the process I used:

1. Find out how to use a 3d modelling program. I used blender.

2. Import the object from the obj file into the program (you can easily search how to do that for your given program)

3. Choose where the seams of the object will be and mark them. Then UV-unwrap it (you can easily search how to do that for your given program)

4. Edit the UV mapping until the object’s lines are spaced how you want them. If the texture will have more detail in one area than others, make those areas of your UV map larger (you can easily search how to do that for your given program)

5. Make a texture (if you don’t already have them) and load it in the UV editor (you can easily search how to do that for your given program)

6. Make sure you have some source-engine compatible model export tools (you can easily search how to do that for your given program)

7. Make an object which is about the same size as the one you want to export, but with less detail. This object will be the area used for physical collision detection in-game. The less detail, the less work it will be for the physics engine (you can easily search how to do that for your given program)

8. Select the object and make sure it is “set smooth” (you can easily search how to do that and what it does)

9. Export the models as SMD or DMX files (you can easily search how to do that for your given program)

10. Create a QC file and include references to the smd files and the model files (you can easily search how to do that)

11. Use a tool like crowbar to compile the model (you can easily search how to do that)

12. use VTFEdit to “import” the image you used as a texture and then save it as a “.vtf” file

13. create a vmt file which references the vtf file (you can easily search how to do that)

14. put all files in place. *.vmt and *.vtf go into materials/ or subfolders of it.

15. start the game

16. look for models by name in the spawnmenu and try spawning them.

I do not think you need to give him such a long tutorial. If he downloaded these things he probably already has textures for them, as well as working uvs.

Short version:

1. Import obj into model editor of choice
  2. Export as an smd file
  3. Compile with studiocompiler; it’s good if you are new and are unsure about qc’s. It also has some neat options.
  4. Convert textures to vtf. I recommend VTFEdit for this. Just make sure all the vmt’s are VertexLitGeneric.
  5. Test your model
  6. ???
  7. Win.

True, I didn’t need to.

But I did write it because the next question is normally “how do I do that?”

By breaking it down into smaller steps, the OP can look up the sub parts in more detail and eventually understand why it’s more or less done that way.

You are right that many obj files include textures anyway, in which case some of the steps can be skipped - but that’s the whole thing in general.

Also, it’s worth pointing out to the OP that crowbar and studiocompiler only exist to add buttons for the end user and remember some of the options for them. The same thing can be achieved by running studiomdl(?) from the command prompt. For that reason, it doesn’t actually matter what program is used for running the model compiler - any will do (crowbar, studiocompiler or others)

I feel that studicompiler helps a lot with beginners that just want static props done, it’s how I started before moving on to manually writing qcs for everything.

Yes, both do - and I would recommend picking one and using one of them. Also, of course, it doesn’t matter which one you use (because it just automates the command line compiler) - and so arguments could be made for and against both programs. Many people will say “well, I prefer X because…” but ultimately, it comes down to preference.

Try both, choose one that you like, and then just use that one.

I’ve been trying to learn how to import models to the source engine for a super long time, I’m working on it currently, the problem is I need the models sooner than ill be able to figure out how to import them. if somebody would be willing to help me Id be able to maybe even pay them a bit.