[HELP!] Creating custom animation and overriding all player-models

Hey guys, I’d like to make custom animations for the player rig, basically, over-ride what valve has created in HL2. How would I go about doing this? (I already know how to animate, but I’m not sure as to compiling and decompiling what items.)

I second this notion, I’ve rigged around 8 or 9 characters so far but never worked out how to make a complete set of animations for them.

I support this. I once rigged a knight playermodel to the hl2 citizen skeleton and “tried” to replace standart animations by naming them accordingly. It kind of worked for an snpc that just walks around, he actually uses the custom walk animation I had used to go around, but it never works for playermodels.

even a tutorial on custom animations for npcs would make me cream my pants if you were kind enough to post one

nahh sorry I can’t help you in any way. You know I just looked at that snpc script again, trying to find out what caused the animations that previously worked (the custom ones that I mentioned) to not work anymore but I was unsuccesful in finding the error. If it helps, I simply took the same walk.smd and put it in the .qc like this:

$sequence ragdoll "ragdoll" ACT_DIERAGDOLL 1 fps 30.00
$sequence attack_v2 "tw_atk_v2" ACT_TW_ATK_V2 1 fps 30.00
$sequence attack_v1 "tw_atk_v1" ACT_TW_ATK_V1 1 fps 30.00
$sequence walk "cmov_wf" ACT_WALK 1 fps 30.00
$sequence walk_crouch "cmov_wf" ACT_WALK_CROUCH 1 fps 30.00
$sequence walk_all "cmov_wf" ACT_WALK_ALL 1 fps 30.00
$sequence walk_aim "cmov_wf" ACT_WALK_AIM 1 fps 30.00
$sequence run_all "cmov_wf" ACT_RUN 1 fps 30.00
$sequence run_aiming_all "cmov_wf" ACT_RUN_AIM 1 fps 30.00
$sequence run_aiming_ar2_all "cmov_wf" ACT_RUN 1 fps 30.00

I basically renamed them to replace SOME animations I found in hlmv, looking through the animations that came with

$includemodel "combine_soldier_anims.mdl"
$includemodel "humans/male_shared.mdl"
$includemodel "humans/male_ss.mdl"
$includemodel "humans/male_gestures.mdl"
$includemodel "humans/male_postures.mdl"
$includemodel "m_anm.mdl"
$includemodel "m_gst.mdl"
$includemodel "m_pst.mdl"
$includemodel "m_shd.mdl"
$includemodel "m_ss.mdl"
$includemodel "Police_animations.mdl"
$includemodel "Police_ss.mdl"

But I stopped at some point because there were waaay too many general walking/idle animations and I didn’t feel like replacing them all just to see if it worked or not.

Nice, so it worked with just a few of the essential ones?

Yep is it did. At some point. And only as snpc, not as an npc that uses standart combine or citizen entities as class.
I used this:http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Basic_Scripted_NPC