HELP NEEDED - Massive Machinima Project: The Delta Vector

Hey everyone,
My name is Aaron Houillon and I am the director/producer for an in-the-works machinima project called The Delta Vector. It has grown from a small, goof-off video between my friends and I to a projected feature-length (90-120 minutes) film. Because of that, I am going to need a lot more help if I’m going to see this project through to the end, which I most assuredly will. First, some information about the film:

Summary: The Global Coalition has become the world’s first and only one-world government, uniting the world under a common currency and tongue by trading storehouses of the Earth’s quickly-dwindling supplies of drinkable water for peace between nations and the power to rule them. However, the human cost of maintaining this empire is brutal, as a harsh Orwellian police state rises to keep a firm grip on the peace gained by the GC’s efforts. When state-sponsored brutality isn’t enough, the GC begins to conduct experiments on the human mind to pacify its citizens. In the midst of this chaotic new world order, a guerrilla resistance movement called The Delta Vector emerges from ordinary citizens who have seen through the GC’s veil of peace. Out of this movement, an elite squad of the Delta Vector’s best soldiers, known as the White Knights, has risen up to undertake a bold and daring plot that could decide the fate of human civilization. It is up to each man to confront his inner demons before taking on the squad’s most fearsome challenge yet.

Those who are interested can read the script here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxh6LB6B4QY-OTA0ZTIyMmYtNjMyYS00ZWI3LTkxMzktYTI4ZGU5NGVmNWNj
I will update the script on Google Docs as I work on it. So far Episode 1 is complete and Episode 2 is in progress.

A Community Effort:

Here’s how this is going to work. The script (and subsequently the film) will be feature-length, around 90-120 minutes. The script is not finalized and is being written as an ongoing process, although I do have a framework for how the film will play itself out. The film will be released to YouTube in episodes running between 9 and 12 minutes or so until the film is completed in its entirety. It will then be uploaded to YouTube as a seamless, whole movie. This film is being made for free and is fueled by volunteers, so I cannot promise any monetary compensation. I envision this to be a community-based effort, and while it is possible for me and a few friends to make this movie, it will take a LOT more time and will be substantially lower in quality than what I know the Garry’s Mod community is capable of. I hope that we can come together to create a high-quality, engaging, community-driven film.

Given the scope of this project, it will take one to two years to complete. I understand that the work put forward for this project will be all volunteer work, and as such YOU DO NOT NEED TO STAY ON THE PROJECT FOR ITS ENTIRETY. Rather, I will treat requests for work as a contract. For example, if I need a texture for a 3D model or an entirely new 3D model itself, I will send a request to every modeler/texture artist on the list. Whoever can get the job done gets a credit in the film and their work featured. I also understand that because this is volunteer work, most of you have lives outside of this community and as a result this movie will fall low on the priority list, as it should be. However, I do want to get this film done before my grandkids graduate college, so I will expect timely, professional work. I do hope that if you volunteer to work on this movie, that you take it as seriously as I do, though I know that it should be a learning experience for everyone involved, and hopefully we’ll have some fun times too.

What We Need:

For each role that you wish to volunteer for, send a personal message to me stating what position you would like to apply for, why you think you can fulfill the role and why you want to help out on this movie. Please check the role description for any further information you should include in your application.

Keep in mind that while I will put a limit on the number of volunteers for a given role, it is more than likely that if you apply for a role, you will get it. I will update this post to reflect whether I am accepting applicants or not.

3D Model Artist Accepting
Volunteers for this role need to be able to create props from a description and accompanying concept art/photos. Props should be appropriately sized and integrated into Garry’s Mod/Source Engine. Must be able to create necessary materials from the model for use by texture artists. Models should be high quality, but optimized for efficient rendering in the Source Engine. The applicant should have a knowledge of Source Engine compiling parameters and needs to be able to compile props to NPC bodygroups according to specifications by the producer. Applicants should include photos and/or video of previous work along with any past credits in projects, if applicable.

Texture Artist Accepting
Volunteers for this role need to be able to create textures from a description and accompanying concept art/photos for various 3D models created by the 3D model artists. Textures should fit the prop correctly and need to follow specifications by the producer regarding color scheme, design, etc. Textures need to be converted to the proper format for the Source Engine, including .vtf and .vmt files. Applicants should include photos of previous work along with any past credits in projects, if applicable.

Voice Actor Accepting
Volunteers for this role need a quality microphone, and little else. No experience necessary. Note that most specific roles for the film have already been cast, although voices for minor characters, such as soldiers and citizens of both sexes, are still needed. The need for this role will change frequently with the script changes - check again for any available roles after an episode has been finalized.

Animator Accepting
Volunteers for this role need to be able to create realistic, fluid animations from a description and accompanying concept art/photos. They should have a solid knowledge of Source Engine compiling techniques and need to be able to compile custom animations for use in the Faceposer tool in the Source SDK. Lip-sync animation is not needed. Subtle animation will be needed along with combat animation, so, while not necessary, it is in the animator’s favor to know both styles. Applicants should include video of previous work along with any past credits in projects, if applicable.

Optional Roles:
These roles are not critically needed for the film, but will make the movie much better in quality, not to mention much more unique. Or it will simply make my job much easier.

Mapper Accepting
Volunteers for this role need to be able to create functioning, high-quality maps according to specifications and concept art/photos/video. Maps must load without errors, be optimized for performance and to prevent memory leaks, and must be visually appealing according to the needs of the scene. Maps must also be to scale to NPCs. No scripting knowledge is necessary. Applicants should include photos/video of their previous work along with any past credits in projects, if applicable.

Story Consultant Accepting
Volunteers for this role need to be able to give critical feedback on the story as a whole as well as individual revisions of the script. No experience necessary, although past experience as a story consultant and/or an author of any kind of literature is definitely a plus. Applicants should include excerpts from past work, if any, and any past credits in projects, if applicable.

Epilogue
Do you think there is a role that you can fulfill and you don’t see it here? Chances are I can use your help - send me a personal message with what you think you can do and I’ll do my best to include you in the project.

You can follow the progress of the film at www.facebook.com/TheDeltaVector or find us on YouTube at www.youtube.com/rollingbarrelfilms

ha, ha, ha.

no.

Seeing the videos on your channel id say no. It doesn’t show that you have any experience with machinima or made anything good for the last 7 months, and you’re taking this way to serious it’s a machinima not a big movie.

And basically you need everyone for this you have no “crew”/friends that can help you out at all. Because of that I think this project is going to fail really hard or won’t even get released, you should focus on smaller machinimas to learn how things work and what people like also try to edit/record yourself so you know how to do things and how editing ingame works. But the most important thing is that you will get a lot of online contacts. Since now you don’t have anyone and I can tell after a few months of making short machinima’s with other people you will have someone for every job also because they know that you will make something good and release it, they will be glad to help you out. Nothing is worse than working on a map for 2 weeks and than the project stops or the quality just sucks horrible.

So yeah there is my recommendation you did a really good job writing a good topic but you don’t have anything to show i never heard your name before so I don’t think you have a lot of machinima experience and movies like this never ever get released (except war of the servers) or just suck really hard.

Stopped reading right there. They’re supposed to be soldiers, not 17th century playwrights.

Thank you; I appreciate criticism like this. This machinima will get made, it’s just a matter if I can get help to get it done faster. Perhaps I’ll get a warmer reception after Episode 1 is released.