[Help] Setting custom gamemode title for Gmod

I’m making a roleplay gamemode based off DarkRP, and I don’t want it to fall under the “DarkRP” category because it has a completely different theme.

I wanted a custom category called “SkyrimRP”

I’ve edited my darkrp.txt and server.cfg but it still shows “DarkRP” in the category

My darkrp.txt

"SkyrimRP"
{
	"base"		"sandbox"
    "title"  "SkyrimRP"
    "version"   "v0.1"
    "menusystem"	"1"

"author_name"   "Zeddicus (Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak) credits to the DarkRP developers; Rick darkalonio, DarkRP: Rickster, Pcwizdan, Sibre, philxyz, [GNC] Matt, Chrome Bolt, FPtje Falco, Eusion, Drakehawke"
    "author_email"  "waffelwarf101@gmail.com"
    "author_url"    "N/A"

"maps" "rp_lakeland"

"icon"  ""
    "info"  ""
    "hide"  "0"
}

My server.cfg:

// server name
hostname "[PCMR] SkyrimRP - Official Open Beta v0.1 #1" 

// rcon passsword
rcon_password "" // rcon disabled 

// gamemode

"gamemode" "SkyrimRP"

// sbox settings
"sbox_maxprops" "10"	 // Don't make this too much if you use a good map as rp_downtown_v2 \\ 
"sbox_maxragdolls" "0"	 // Unnecessary on DarkRP.. \\
"sbox_maxnpcs" "0"	 // It's disabled so make it 0 \\
"sbox_maxballoons" "0"	 // Balloons \\
"sbox_maxeffects" "0"	 // Put this off or people will make the skybox weird and dark... \\
"sbox_maxdynamite" "0"	 // It's RP not Oh snap trap, land \\
"sbox_maxlamps" "0"	 // Lamps, this will make the server lagg \\
"sbox_maxthrusters" "0"	 // Why would we need thrusters anyway? \\
"sbox_maxwheels" "0"	 // Idk if roleplayers are bored... \\
"sbox_maxhoverballs" "0"	 // This will only be prop lifting \\
"sbox_maxvehicles" "0"	 // You can spawn vechicles not recommended on small maps \\
"sbox_maxbuttons"	 "0"	 // Just make it enough, people want to have buttons or its prop block \\
"sbox_noclip" "0"	 // Everyone will be able to noclip also guests. \\
"sbox_godmode" "0"	 // Godmode; no one will be able to die in your server. \\ 

Can anyone assist me?

While this is not recommended and will push your server to the bottom of the list (although gmod players eat up any shit relating to rp and games they recognize), to do this you’ll also need to rename the gamemode folder and gamemode.txt

I renamed the folder and the darkrp.txt to skyrimrp

Here’s my server.cfg:

// server name
hostname "[PCMR] SkyrimRP - Official Open Beta v0.1 #1" 

// rcon passsword
rcon_password "" // rcon disabled 

// gamemode

"gamemode" "skyrimrp"

// sbox settings
"sbox_maxprops" "10"	 // Don't make this too much if you use a good map as rp_downtown_v2 \\ 
"sbox_maxragdolls" "0"	 // Unnecessary on DarkRP.. \\
"sbox_maxnpcs" "0"	 // It's disabled so make it 0 \\
"sbox_maxballoons" "0"	 // Balloons \\
"sbox_maxeffects" "0"	 // Put this off or people will make the skybox weird and dark... \\
"sbox_maxdynamite" "0"	 // It's RP not Oh snap trap, land \\
"sbox_maxlamps" "0"	 // Lamps, this will make the server lagg \\
"sbox_maxthrusters" "0"	 // Why would we need thrusters anyway? \\
"sbox_maxwheels" "0"	 // Idk if roleplayers are bored... \\
"sbox_maxhoverballs" "0"	 // This will only be prop lifting \\
"sbox_maxvehicles" "0"	 // You can spawn vechicles not recommended on small maps \\
"sbox_maxbuttons"	 "0"	 // Just make it enough, people want to have buttons or its prop block \\
"sbox_noclip" "0"	 // Everyone will be able to noclip also guests. \\
"sbox_godmode" "0"	 // Godmode; no one will be able to die in your server. \\ 

And my skyrimrp.txt:

"skyrimrp"
{
	"base"		"sandbox"
    "title"  "skyrimrp"
    "version"   "v0.1"
    "menusystem"	"1"

"author_name"   "Zeddicus (Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak) credits to the DarkRP developers; Rick darkalonio, DarkRP: Rickster, Pcwizdan, Sibre, philxyz, [GNC] Matt, Chrome Bolt, FPtje Falco, Eusion, Drakehawke"
    "author_email"  "waffelwarf101@gmail.com"
    "author_url"    "N/A"

"maps" "rp_lakeland"

"icon"  ""
    "info"  ""
    "hide"  "0"
}

And a screenshot of my directory:

But it still says DarkRP as the category in the menus.

What am I doing wrong?

It’ll work if you make your own gamemode instead of using DarkRP.

Don’t pull this on me.
1942RP and HarborRP are both good gamemodes that are fun to play and have CUSTOM titles on the menus and they’re both derived from DarkRP

[FIXED]

Not sure how though, but it says SkyrimRP

“Other people do it so it must be okay for me to do it.”

The fact they could do it means I can.

And it worked for me, so there’s proof.

Just because it works doesn’t mean you should do it. Anyone can customize DarkRP and call it their own gamemode; all you’ve done is change the theme and added some Skyrim-esc addons. That doesn’t really warrant a new gamemode category unless you’ve made your own gamemode.

Why would I label it as DarkRP?

People see DarkRP and think of modern-day semi-serious roleplay.

The only reason why I knew about 1942RP is because I saw “1942RP” as it’s own category, and I thought it sounded cool.

That’s exactly how Skyrim-lovers will get to my server. By seeing a SkyrimRP category in the games section.

Then name your server “SkyrimRP” instead of fabricating other player’s preconceptions as your own and justifying it as a rationale to have your own spot on the server list. By doing that, you, who has used an already-existing base which already has a category, are putting your server next to those who have coded their own gamemodes and are actually custom, thus pushing them farther down the list in lieu of your own. Doesn’t really seem just in my opinion.

If they put all that hard work and dedication into a custom gamemode made from scratch, they should be getting more users than I do.

Nobody goes to the DarkRP category looking for a non-DarkRP themed gamemode.
It’s all about advertising, I couldn’t give less of a shit if I’m surpassing others who have worked harder on their game mode.

There are plenty of well-made custom gamemodes that don’t get a playerbase because they start so far down the list, and because of how the server list works, more players correlates to a higher position, so by putting your server in a seperate category, you are putting it in direct competition with those who actually have effort put into them.

Again, you are coercing your own opinions as a universally-accepted one and saying everyone has the same mentality of you. Believe it or not, people can think for themselves and have their own, unique psyche.

And here once again we see producer greediness as a means of ruining it for everyone else to achieve their own personal gains. People such as you are the reason the model of more players to a higher position doesn’t work, since you are directly screwing over anyone who puts effort into their gamemode.
You’re even contradicting yourself by saying that if these gamemodes were so “custom,” then they should get more players, yet you say that you “couldn’t give less of a shit” about them, because fuck anyone who dares actually putting effort into a gamemode instead of using a pre-contrived base that already has a category, a few addons – none of which were made by the server owner, and slapping “CUSTOM” in the title.

You may be really good at LUA coding, so it may seem like a cakewalk to you.
But making servers like 1942RP and such take effort.

Map making skills, and making your own entities/addons as well takes skill.
You can shove off, I’m tired of your ignorance.

You’re a golden example of all the stuck-up programmers on here who think they’re better than everyone because they can code better.

I’m being realistic. If you were making your own maps, models, and addons, I would think that it would warrant it’s own gamemode, even if it did use DarkRP, but so far, you have displayed none of that. Also, calling me stuck-up and ignorant is a bit ironic when you are the one who said, “It’s all about advertising, I couldn’t give less of a shit if I’m surpassing others who have worked harder on their game mode.”

[editline]28th June 2014[/editline]

GMod is a community, believe it or not, and when something happens in one community, it affects everyone.

There are many people who this applies to on Facepunch but code_gs, one of the most patient posters I’ve ever seen is not one of them

Do keep in mind what I said earlier, gamemodes with the most amount of players are at the top of the browser, so unless you think your server can pull in a minimum of 40 players at peak times then this suggestion is more harm that good. Take a look at the server browser, there’s an overflow of rp gamemodes with only one server and lots of them are near the bottom

We’re going to have multiple servers.

The dedicated server I purchased can hold up to 5 individual ones.

Honestly, to change the gamemode name (in the server browser) you’d need to edit DarkRP’s core file (init.lua) which is not recommended. This is all I will tell you because it’s just a terrible idea to do this like code_gs said, but good luck to you.

Sorry for necroposting but I’m having a question on the same topic, so why start a new.
If I want to join darkrp server I click on panel ‘darkrp’ in gamemodes table, and there are plenty of them; but if I want to join, say, starwarsrp server there is another panel for these. And there are only swrp servers. Now, I want my server to be shown among these swrp servers and not darkrp ones, because that’s where all of my targeted audience will look. Is it allowed?

I’ve changed my opinion quite a bit since I last posted here. I think with the current distribution of “custom” DarkRP servers, renaming it is fine if it fits into the proper preset category.

Agreed, I think the overflow of DarkRP servers makes it near impossible for new severs in that category to get noticed. FPtje has actually released a way to do this without editing the core files, which can be found on his GitHub I believe.