High Ping But Destroying People - Are They Hacking?

Hey people. Quick question about ping and how it associates with player performance in Rust. I know low ping is better ping but I’ve had a couple of people call hax on a group of players on my server. So I logged in this morning and went and messed with them and I think they are just good shots but I really can’t tell. However when I check their ping, they are always between a 300-550 ping…so is it possible to wreck people with such a high ping? I’m just curious about your thoughts on this because I don’t wanna ban someone if they aren’t hacking.

The question is, why would any sane person pick a server with such a horrible latency? Also, it’s not entirely impossible to ‘wreck’ people with such a high ping and most and foremost depends on the situation, but is very unlikely in general.

Do you have proof of them cheating? A high ping is not evidence of anything.

I mean, if a majority of your server is complaining about them then perhaps you should just get rid of them, probably better to make your population happy than to have two more people that will probably make others leave.

I dunno, it’s a fine line.

Its very easy to head shot someone when they stop moving due to lag. I have been killed numerous times behind walls (even my pack will fall behind the wall), but I’m guessing to them in their game i’m just standing their like an idiot. Its pretty frustrating. It happens on both sides of the coin but if someone was playing with high ping I could see how your players might be skipping around for them and thus opening opportunities for easy headshots

-Edit: Also just yesterday I was getting shot at and I ran behind the person with the gun, he continued to shot in the same (original) direction even when I was behind him and he killed me. Its pretty dumb if lag is actually giving this kind of advantage.

The netcode in this game is terrible, collisions are 100% calculated on the client side from what I can tell so when a guy stops moving in front of you because of your lag, you can shoot at the still player and hit him every time. In essence, lag is both and advantage and disadvantage… it makes you stop in place so you are an easier target, but it also makes others stop in place and they become easier targets as well.

Most other games include some form of prediction to prevent that (if the guy is running in direction X and the server stops getting info from him, he will keep going straight until new info contradicts — Rust makes the player stop instead of that).

They are reworking the network layer from what I hear, I certainly hope this issue is addressed. Unfortunately, any and every other multiplayer game with that many players will suffer quite badly from lag even with prediction… Until we can all get 0 ping from every server in the world, lag will always be a big burden on PVP quality on games this size.

Can’t believe we still have to deal with 50+ pings in 2014… wtf are the network manufacturers doing? That and mechanical hard drives… it’s a conspiracy I tell you…

That damn speed of light and all. I should have 10msec ping to South Africa.

Simple fact is pings will increase by distance.

Do you have proof of them cheating? A high ping is not evidence of anything.

I mean, if a majority of your server is complaining about them then perhaps you should just get rid of them, probably better to make your population happy than to have two more people that will probably make others leave.

I dunno, it’s a fine line.

Well you got the worst mentality ever, that’s why admins are banning ppl once they kill a lot of ppl, cuz they are good…

I don’t have any proof which is why I haven’t dropped a ban, but I’m just curious how ping works with Rust and how much is client side detection. I don’t want to ban someone for not cheating but I also don’t want to let them tear a server apart because they are and I’m unsure about it.

It’s your server, you’re paying for it, and if you feel they are doing more harm than good to your server it’s your decision alone. Since you said their ping is around 300 to 550 I’m sure there’s plenty of other servers closer to them. If these guys aren’t cheating, then at least they are trolls exploiting the current netcode weaknesses or are plain stupid.

I didn’t even realize you had quoted me cuz it wasn’t in quote tags.

Like I said, it’s a fine line. I don’t feel any need to be a saintly server admin. I was honest enough when I had my server, never abused anything or cheated, had a decent population for a time, very rarely played on it, was constantly hunting cheaters and dupers, and overall it was a pretty good community. But yes, sometimes in order to keep that community I had to get rid of people that weren’t necessarily breaking any rules but were causing disorder.

I realize that sounds ridiculous since the game is all about disorder and I’m a firm believer that people should be able to play how they want but… where do you draw the line? If I have 30 people online and 15 of them say they’ll leave if 1 person doesn’t get banned, what is someone supposed to do? I lean towards the side of the majority, that’s just me, even if I was probably being manipulated.

I know I wasn’t/am not the best admin around, and I certainly made choices that people disagreed with, particularly when it came to bans. But hey, it was my server so I ran it my way. I would expect the same from anyone else.

For the record, no one ever complained about someone being “too good” and I wouldn’t ban for it. The non-cheaters that I banned were assholes, and I’m not talking about how they played, I’m talking about how they used and abused the global chat and local voice chat… it was ridiculous.

You can still go ham in rust with 400-500 ping. I do it on the American battlefield servers (with Australian ping) from time to time.

Early on (pre-cheatpunch) I thought I remembered there being several hacks that inflated ping times.

In any event, if players are teleporting around because of lag and this is causing consistent problems with PVP, politely explain to the players that though they’re probably not doing anything wrong it might be best for everyone’s game experience if they found a server that was closer to them geographically.

I’ve never heard anyone bitch about an abusive admin after being given the courtesy of a calm conversation and rational explanation for an action they might not otherwise like.