High poly Tardis interior to source

Hello all, sorry if i sound a bit confusing whilst explaining this problem been busting ass trying to get this to work so i am a bit flustered, anyway heres the sitch.
A few friends and i have been trying to make an addon that involves the tardis from the british scifi show doctor who. The model which needs importing is very detailed 853727 verts not quite sure how to convert that number to polys but anyway the source engine as i understand has a hissy fit with these sort of models. I understand that i cant directly import it, but i believe there might be a way of seperating it into layers and exporting them each into .smd files then compile them with a qc with a special set of commands telling it to use the individual smd files to make one mdl. My issue is i have no clue how to go about doing this. Any help would be just adored ive never had anything make me want to slam my head into a wall more than this project. CHEERS!

Pics:

QC: for the Console as a test

$modelname    "coreylz	ardis\Console.mdl"
$model "body1" "base_center_1.smd"
$model "body3" "Center_panels_1.smd"
$model "body4" "Center_rotor_1.smd"
$model "body5" "center_top_1.smd"
$model "body6" "center_tube_1.smd"
$model "body7" "Buttons_1.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop    tile
$cdmaterials    "coreylz\Tardis\console"

$sequence idle    "Hull_1.smd" // no animation wanted, so re-using the reference mesh

$collisionmodel "Hull_1.smd"
{
    $mass 350.0
    $concave
    $maxconvexpieces 120 
}

Well there is a soft limit on the number of polys that a source model can have, and it varies by compiler. You can try compiling with SFM’s compiler, but as a rule of thumb, you’ll want each SMD to be less then about 30k polygons.

Furthermore, you can only define one $model, additional meshes on a core mesh are expressed as $body parameters, I’d suggest looking at the VDC for examples.

The final caveats are that even if it does compile with a newer studiomdl, there’s no guarantee that it’ll load in gmod. Unless you can compile it in SDK13’s studiomdl, I wouldn’t promise it’d load correctly.

You’ve got to remember, this is a game engine from 200X, models generally range between 100 and ~50k polygons. Valve has sidestepped this in L4D by compiling mutliple models with a shared origin and combined them ingame (see L4D APC from Dead Harvest), but you’re talking about 10-12 separate maxed out models.

My best recommendation would be to* actually make it a game asset* and bake details into textures via normalmaps and ambient occlusion instead of trying to hack your way into getting it ingame.

Look where the program tells you how many “Faces” your model has. That more or less should tell you how many polygons you will have in-game usually if my knowledge is correct. Anyways, you seem to have over 400k polygons. So based on what Major Vice has said, break up your model into 4-8 pieces of 50-100k polygons each, and then export them.

I’m not sure how to write the qc file, but you should be able to have multiple parts. You just need to define them by the $model parameter. At least that’s how you can do it with ragdolls if I remember right.

Ok so im probably going to the route of multiple mdl files i just need to know if its possible to load them in one piece when actual addon is loaded i am not an experienced coder but i believe thats kinda how the other tardis addon function however i could be wrong

It should work just fine. You can do it with ragdolls so I don’t see why you can’t do it with props. Try compiling it and then opening it up in HLMV and see how it goes. If you can, post a picture of the finished model so we can give you help if you get stuck.