hl2.exe has stopped working

Today I bought Garry’s Mod from the steam store. I go to run the game and it comes up with ‘hl2.exe has stopped working’ and then it closes the game. I am trying to run it on my Acer Aspire 5315, Windows Vista. I would really appreciate some help in sorting this problem as it is really frustrating me!

Do you have TF2 or CS:S installed? If yes, verify them.

if tf2 is the team fortress file i have searched for that in common folder but its not there what is Cs:s? sorry i know these questions are probably dumb but i’m relativity new to this sort of stuff.

Verify any valve games if you have them installed.

i have verified integrity of game cache for garry’s mod if that is what you are saying

[editline]31st October 2014[/editline]

I have verified the integrity of the game cache in properties and i go to run Garry’s mod and i keep getting ‘hl2.exe has stopped working’

Do you have Team Fortress 2? or Counter Strike : Source? TF2 = Team Fortress 2 CS:S = Counter Strike : Source? Any Valve games like Portal 2? L4D2 ummm… what else is there?

Rename the TF2 folder or uninstall it.

Validating will help too.

Maybe there was an error with installing?

press f12 search hl2.exe has stopped working and edit it so it say hl2.exe has started working an it wil work