HL2.exe has stopped working.

Before everybody mentions TF2 and Verify Game Cache, i’ve done this but i don’t have TF2 so nothing there. I’ve played garrysmod for about 1248 hours in total and i’ve never ever had a problem like this before. I’ve spent about 6 hours in total trying to fix this. I’ve done everything i can possibly do without rolling back my PC or completely restoring it. I’ve re-installed the game multiple times, i unsubscribed from every addon i had and made a new addons folder and tried that hoping it was an addon doing it which it wasn’t. I restarted my PC multiple times tried -dxlevel 8 and 81 but still no result. Sometimes i get further when trying to open it but still end up with the same result which shows HL2.exe has stopped working. I’m on windows 8 and i’m debating upgrading to windows 10 to see if that fixes it and if it doesn’t then i’ll just have to wait for my new PC or completely reset it. Which i really don’t want to do. I really need a fix for this because i am really becoming bored because i mainly play gmod for the whole day other than Arma or something but i just want a fix.

You can restore your computer to a backup point, these should automatically be created so you can roll back to a couple of days ago or something. This should be fine unless you did something important in that short time.

P.S. fancy seeing you here

It’s been going on for a little while now ever since the gmod update, so i’m gunna wait till the next one to see if that fixes it.

From my understanding from your explanation it seems your game crashes on start-up while loading into the menu. If you started having this crash for no reason (no recent game updates), it could be a variety of things. I have a few ideas on what it could be, as unlikely as it may be, it can’t hurt to check a few things.

First things first: Check to see if your autoexec.cfg file has anything in it. This is located in \Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg (Right click and open the file with notepad). If you have never edited it, it should be completely empty. If it isn’t empty, delete everything from and it and save it. This will remove anything that sets itself on startup, including any scripts or special binds you have. If there isn’t an autoexec.cfg file, it shouldn’t do anything to create one.

You could try deleting your config file and starting up the game. This will remove any binds you have but any variables you or some malicious owner might have assigned to your game will be restored to the default. The only reason I think this might be the case is that reinstalling the game by downloading it through steam will bring in your config settings from your install that is saved to the cloud, bringing along any screwed settings.

If none of that works, try updating your graphics card drivers on your computer. If you haven’t updated them before the issue started, it’s unlikely doing this will fix it, but it can’t hurt to try.

All else fails, you could try a completely clean install of garrysmod. This means deleting the entire folder in windows and then trying to reinstall it. I know you have probably tried this and if you get to this point, I don’t know of anything you could do.

This is all I know you could do. I hope at least one of these fixes your game.

Try disabling all your addons, if it works delete all the ones you don’t need and re-enable the rest.

This fixed my game for now. Thank you so much!

EDIT: Worked for a day and it broke again.