"Hl2.exe stopped working"

I had restored my computer back to factory default. After doing so I had to re-install Gmod and HalfLife2. After doing this I run Gmod and it comes up in fullscreen with the funny background and in the bottom corner it says its loading, but after about 30s it crashes and a screen pops up and says: “Hl2.exe has stopped working”. It then tells me to close the program and I do. I also tried restarting my computer and re-downloading Gmod, but it hasn’t worked. What should I do? - FIXED

NEW PROBLEM!

It works, but it opens in windowed mode and when I try to change it to fullscreen the mouse is off center and I have to move it just below the selection I to click on it. I then tried closing GMod and reopening it but it says there is already an instance of this game running every time I try to open it. I then tried restarting my computer, which didn’t work. Why is this happening now, it wasn’t before I restored my computer?!?!

Go to steam>my games>garrysmod>properties>Set Launch Options>put in:
-window -dxlevel 80 +mat_forcehardwaresync 0

It worked! Thanks!

[editline]12:41AM[/editline]

It works, but it opens in windowed mode and when I try to change it to fullscreen the mouse is off center and I have to move it just below the selection I to click on it. I then tried closing GMod and reopening it but it says there is already an instance of this game running every time I try to open it. I then tried restarting my computer, which didn’t work. Why is this happening now, it wasn’t before I restored my computer?!?!

Download the latest version of DirectX

I think I did that, but I’ll try it again.

umm… try apply, it didn’t save the settings if i just pressed OK(only for the game i was playing)

I did that but still didn’t work.

Hmm it says that it’s always running? Have you tried doing ctrl+alt+delete and look under the processes tab and see if HL2.exe is there? If it is, End the process and try opening it up.

Yay! It works, I did what this person said in a thread about the same problem I had and now it works! Thanks anyway guys!

[editline]04:49PM[/editline]

Here’s the link: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=788384

So what fixed it? Updating your DirectX or editing the text?

That bug has been fixed why do people insist on fucking up stuff.