HL2 Weapon Skins in GMod

Hey guys,

With the recent switch to SteamPipe, I’m unsure how to get my skins for the vanilla Half Life 2 weapons to work. They work fine in HL2 with the .vpk system, but I just can’t seem to get them to work in GMod.
I’d love to get them working to improve the world models for weapons with NPCs, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Just put them in common/garrysmod/garrysmod/models. If you are going to be modifying the viewmodels, they must now be c_models.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve already tried putting the materials, models and sound folders into common/Garrys Mod/garrysmod, but to no avail. They still show as the vanilla models.
Could you give me some more info on this “c_models”?

With the new hands system, each default weapon had to be recompiled for it. So to prevent issues, they were compiled with a new prefix, c_.
It’s similar to TF2, but it’s inversed; the weapons contain the hand skeletons and animations.

Oh I see, so must I rename the models folder to “c_models”?
Would I do the same for materials (c_materials)?

Materials are fine how they are. And you cannot just rename them “c_”, you must get a modeler to recompile them for you in the correct format.