HLMV is not showing any models

for an amount of months that I haven’t counted, I have not been able to see any models in the Half-Life Model Viewer at all.
everything surrounding the interface of the program can still be seen (with the exception of the rotation gizmo being missing), and the program appears to run normally, other than not showing any models.

which installation of the program I am using does not appear to matter.

the model viewer included in the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive SDK is unique in that attempting to load any models will result in an error saying that “Model models/tools/rotate_widget.mdl not found and models/error.mdl couldn’t be loaded”.

I believe this issue started occurring around the time when I installed the Source SDK package using Steam.
I have currently not tried uninstalling the SDK.

edit:
uninstalling the SDK does not fix my issue.

checked window’s environment variables? the path in vproject especially.

what do I need to do to these variables if I want to use the model viewer for models compiled for Garry’s Mod?

it should be noted that I am quite clueless when it comes to technical things related to the Source SDK.

goto your garry’s mod folder. there where the gameinfo.txt is. copy that path and paste it into that variable.

the kicker is… it only works for garry’s mod then. if you wanna load models from inside csgo you gotta change it again. that’s why all the tools got .bat files to load them from their local installation and seting that vproject temporarily. if gmod got an hlmv.bat in it’s bin directory you should probably use that or a shortcut to that file to load hlmv with gmod as temporary vproject set.

using a batch file located in “E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\bin” together with HLMV.exe containing the following code has fixed my issue.

I also set my VProject path to “E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod”. I believe this is part of why my issue is currently fixed.