Home Based Dedicated Server - Max players on this setup?

BT have just upgraded my fibre optic to 300mbps connection(FFTP)! Which is awesome.

I was wondering if this setup along with my new connection would be enough to run a gmod dedi. server and what do you think the Max players it could handle.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 3.2Ghx
RAM: 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Plenty of HD space, over 2Tb of free space at the moment.

I’m pretty sure its only the CPU and ram I need to worry about.

Max Players? Good enough setup?

On garry’s mod its mainly the CPU. Ram wont really be an issue nor will space. Only thing that could be a problem is bandwith. As your with BT i’m gathering your on the unlimted package. but they do state this

Heavy users: Heavy users can cause peak traffic volumes to exceed the engineered maximum load. In practice this refers to a very small proportion of users of a network whose use is excessive to the extent that it impacts on other users.

Not sure if you will find this useful but hey ho :slight_smile:

I guess the best thing it to set it up and see how it goes. I’m going to start with 10 slots and monitor it. I’m not too bothered about bandwidth, I download a LOT of stuff last month I hit over 160Gb of data. I do that quite frequently looking at my history, not heard anything from BT.

Bandwidth isn’t that big of a deal, 30 man ttt servers only use about 500gb or so a month

Starting small and building up would be your best bet.

I run a gmod server with about 30-40 people, a webserver, an irc bot, and a few other things all on a 1gb 1 core vps , you should be more than fine :slight_smile:

Though i may note, i assume you’re already running linux so it propbably won’t matter, but if not, i highly suggest changing your operating system to some kind of linux distribution, perhaps debian, it really will run the server faster than windows

Will look into that! Thanks.

Ok, got my server running. However, I’m having trouble getting the Prop Hunt gamemode to run properly. It won’t start automatically, below is the setup for my Watchdog batch:

@echo off
cls
echo Protecting srcds from crashes...
echo If you want to close srcds and this script, close the srcds window and type Y depending on your language followed by Enter.
title srcds.com Watchdog
:srcds
echo (%time%) srcds started.
start /wait srcds.exe -console -game garrysmod sv_gamemode prop-hunt +map gm_construct +maxplayers 10
echo (%time%) WARNING: srcds closed or crashed, restarting.
goto srcds

I also tried sv_defaultgamemode prop-hunt. I’ve also tried adding this to my server.cfg file and autoexec file, it just refuses to start.

I downloaded the gamemode from here: https://github.com/adamdburton/prop-hunt

The gamemode is installed in the gamemode folder:

<STEAM>garrysmod\gamemodes\prop-hunt

EDIT: You can test the server by connecting to chilloutzone.no-ip.org. This will have to do for now as I am on a dynamic IP.

You have to use gamemode “prop-hunt” not sv_gamemode.

+gamemode prop-hunt <-- exactly like that :stuck_out_tongue:

-SNIP-

Fixed it.

The only issue with home hosting solutions is the attacks (DDoS)

That doesn’t really matter in this situation. DDoS-attacks are the oldest and probably most used way of attacking someone or a business. There are ways of getting rid of those attacks but they are very expensive.
The biggest GSP’s out there are having huge issues with these kind of attacks as there’s no way to actually avoid them without null-routing the attack or block the attacking IP addresses (Usually the attacks consists of hundreds or sometimes even thousands of IP’s, so that’s a no-go.).

OnT: Your connection is enough to handle loads of connections, but your server will be limited due to your CPU. As SRCDS isn’t multi-threaded, a server can only use one core of the CPU. As your CPU has a very good clock-rate you will not be that limited. Garry’s Mod servers is not like regular game servers as they can use 100% of your core with one single player on the server if they have access to certain tools. Play around with the maxplayers and see how many one can handle. Also, remove access to that core for certain programs like the game itself, etc.