"Homestuck Playset" wut

Hey guys, this is probably my third or fourth server and almost every time a Workshop addon called “Homestuck playset” has found its way onto my server, forcing players to download it. I have no idea what it is but I googled the addon, and the ID is definitely not in my server files.

One of my regulars had a bug where he would crash whenever that finished extracting, and he’s not sure how he fixed it, and now it’s happening to me. Anyone have any idea how this could happen?

Thanks guys.

Is it possible that one of your addons is downloading it?

GMA files store Lua in plain-text. Might be worth a shot to look for the id or resource.AddWorkshop in those files.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking, but my FTP doesn’t let me search through all my files for a specific text. ANy idea what folder it would be in?

Go into your server and open up lua/includes/init.lua, and put this at the top:



local addw = resource.AddWorkshop

function resource.AddWorkshop( id )
  x = debug.getinfo( 2 )

  ErrorNoHalt( "Workshop file #" .. tostring( id ) .. " added from " .. x.source .. " on line #" .. x.lastlinedefined .. "
" )

  addw( id )
end


It should tell you every id and what path it is being loaded from, letting you find the offending script that is adding it.

Something like that should help

Sorry if this is a dumb question but where would it put that information?

It’d be logged to your console just like any other lua error. You could change it to print if you wanted.

My FTP isn’t letting me edit that file for some reason :T Any other options?

For some reason, this addon was included within a weapons pack I used on my old server.

Can you list the addons you’ve installed, please?

Here’s my Collection: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275210716

[editline]28th December 2014[/editline]

I would also appreciate it if someone could figure out why I crash at “Extracted Homestuck Playset”, as it’s only happened to one other guy who can’t remember how it was fixed.

That one isn’t autorefresh compatible. Small change to make it work. I changed a few other things to make it more useful…

Alright to get it to work make sure you change your launch options and add: -condebug

If you’re not able to use launch options, make sure resource.__save_workshop_to_file is true…

That’ll save the data to your server/garrysmod/data/resource_addworkshop.txt file…

Add this file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26074909/tutoring/_utilities/resource_addworkshop_override.lua

to your game-mode directory… ( same directory as init.lua, shared.lua and cl_init.lua )… At the top of init.lua add:


include( "resource_addworkshop_override.lua" );

Unfortunately it won’t work if it is in addons. But, by default it’ll make the file with output such as:

resource.AddWorkshop( “######” ); was called by file[ path/to/file.lua ] on line: ###

For each element… so all you need to do is get the id of the bad file and see which file called it.

That seems good but I’m not really at liberty to restart my server at the moment because it’s got a lot of players on and if I did, most probably wouldn’t come back and my playerbase is pretty unstable at the moment. All that wouldn’t work with autorefresh would it?

resource.AddWorkshop is typically called right at the start ( that’s also when the addons are loaded ).

It can be added using auto-refresh BUT when adding a new file using auto-refresh you need to add it, edit the file where you include it if you don’t have an autoloader, then save the new file at least once.

If you can’t restart I’d say just upload the file and next map change add in the include so map change will add it in.

No map changes either :S I’m gonna go the clientside route since this is only the second known occurrence on my server, and do a full reinstall. I’ll edit this post when it’s done

By clientside do you mean run a local SRCDS of your server? If so, perfect. If you mean listen-server ( creating the server within gmod ) then it can cause other issues.

Here’s how to set up a local SRCDS: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26074909/tutoring/server_srcds_steamcmd/setting_up_a_server_with_steamcmd.lua.html

Same stuff applies with the resource thing.

No I mean trying to fix my client, by reinstalling GMod

[editline]28th December 2014[/editline]

oh my god even that didn’t work

[editline]28th December 2014[/editline]

So now my server simply won’t start, getting Error - retrying…
Calling GetCollectionDetails
Error - retrying…
Calling GetCollectionDetails

until it just gives up and nothing works… The data isn’t being fed and it still happens when I c omment out your script which I tried it hasn’t been up since but it never fed the data to the data folder

Pretty sure madcows weapons includes that.

That error collection details is common. It has to do with the workshop collection that gets downloaded to the server. I have 2 bat files, one with and one without because it sometimes acts up.

Okay, workshop was juts a temporary steam-side issue. I deleted Mad Cow Weapons from the server and now it’s all working fine, thank you so much!

Gonna miss that addon lol