Hotline Russell

Hello!

I’m here to share another project I’m working on again for S&Box - my previously unfinished Hotline Miami inspired map. The premise is simple, do dirty work for your boss Russell in 80s/90s miami with awesome authentic music from the HM ost. There will be 3 full levels to fight through(currently two that are still WIP) with somewhat HM-like gameplay and mechanics such as Masks that give you special abilities throughout the whole level. I’ve recorded two videos for each level and uploaded it to my YT, so if you’re feeling bored definitely check it out. Feedback would be also appreciated :slight_smile: Thanks!

Video Walkthroughs on YT:

Beginning(level one, the ending is a bit broken because you can’t change maps in the editor regularly): Hotline Russell - Part 1 - YouTube
Level two: Hotline Russell - Part 2 - YouTube

Some screenshots:

2 Likes

More screenshots:

1 Like

I could see something like this for s&box, with some variations of course. For instance, I would refrain from using original HM music as it’s subject to copyright. You can keep the setting and general gameplay but I wouldn’t 1:1 recreate the campaign either. Give it your own spin.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for responding.

I’m aware that the music is copyrighted, but Hotline Miami wouldn’t feel just as good without the iconic music.

As for the level design, everything apart from the apartment(which still has quite a lot of new things to look at) is original. I wouldn’t recreate the levels from the original game, as the gameplay doesn’t even completely fit a FPS game.

1 Like

There’s pretty good copyleft synthwave/darksynth music. Also I didn’t mean levels but story (if there’s any to begin with).

2 Likes

is it 1 shot one kill like actual hlm

2 Likes

Hey, It’s 2-shot kill. It’s tuned up, because the combine soldiers usually take a sec to fire and I didn’t want it to be too easy. The player also doesn’t die in one shot, but that would be impossible with these hitscanning enemies.

1 Like