How can I make weapon mods or npc mods without having s&box yet?

I know it’s probably not possible but would be useful if there is a way, I wanted to create a test weapon mod for S&box but I don’t have the game yet, any ideas? or should I just wait till the game comes out, I know this is a dumb question just curious.

facepunch has a few gamemodes:

2 Likes

There’s also the base gamemode here if you want some more context for the gamemodes above

2 Likes

There’s nothing stopping you from making assets with blender, or designing how you want it to look with particle effects.

1 Like

This looks like a vicious cycle: To make good gamemodes or addons for the game would require being able to test it and having a working and full library, otherwise you would need to try somehow making it work with the base gamemode and other examples.
But in order to get access to these things, it helps to post your work on the forum, although you can’t even test it ingame.
The same applies to me. I’m interested in making a gamemode framework comparable to Fretta (a framework that manages teams, rounds, etc.) that makes it easier to create more gamemodes that are then based on it.
There’s also a lack of motivation, because you can’t see what you have made ingame (you can’t test it in any way), you can’t fix bugs and can’t view your UIs.
Not every developer can make 3D models in Blender or maps, so they will apparently have to torture themselves making an abstract addon that uses the game’s library like the example gamemodes or just wait.

3 Likes

They’re not letting people in on their abillity to use s&box through all the leaked code… They’re interested in what you’ve already made and or working on in different engines.

If you’ve got gamemodes or addons made in gmod to showcase, go for it! You can also start messing around in game engines like Unreal or Unity, and just make some whiteboxes of your game mechanics ready to mess around in s&box.

1 Like

for alot of things we gotta wait more, like i want to wait for sbox so i can also make extra things like a view model for my skeleton and also i can get into actual models for the stuff i want to do since i work from what the main coder says is needed, like i want to help make other peoples vision work more as they want, i have my own ideas, but in practice and thinking about them they are meh, so i just have and want to try make some stuff i can now, but want to wait to get sbox for us to go in and make the game mode that he and now me want to make.

everyones stuff they make now is just an example of what they will actual do though i would say, so if you want to make a gun modelling you can try for now, but if you mean coding then im not sure, maybe just get all your ideas in place an things you can like models and or particles and sounds if you have thing like that, then you can get it done quicker when you got the game

3 Likes

I see thanks!

1 Like