How can I solve my elevator problem in space?

Hey Facepunch,

Sorry to post a trivial question, that may be a simple fix, but I am having trouble getting a working elevator in space. I recently made a decent station, kinda looks like a skyscraper. I know hydraulics don’t work in space, and I don’t know about sliders, but I can’t figure out a way to get an elevator to function. Stairs and ramps are tacky, and the sbep lifts are broke, so I won’t bother with them.

Is there any trick, or suggestion you guys have?

Thanks a lot!

Yes hydraulics work in space. Use a wire hydraulic and a smoother, set the rate to about 25 or so. Then be happy.

Since this thread is here I thought I would also post a noob question.

Anyone who has experienced with fin-based planes, how do I make control surfaces? I know about moving stuff but what settings for fin do I use?

I know its going to be difference for every plane, but I was hoping someone with experience could give me a starting point for the settings, rather than me fiddling around with it for an hour.

23 degrees for the rotors works pretty well. In my failed attempts at an omnicar, I’ve figured out that very flat props work the best for control surfaces. Build yourself something simple with Super thin plates, then use the fin tool, and finish it up with something flashy Easy Precisioned over it.

How about the Easy Precision slider? I’ve heard it’s way more stable than the default slider.

Since you have SBEP, you could use the MCP tool. Paradukes is still working on adding Adv. Dupe support for it, though.

I’ve made hundreds of fin controlled planes (most of which I didnt most here, most recently posted was the new biplane)

Its really rather easy. Make sure your weights are high enough for your hydros to respond quickly, and basically just hydro the control surfaces to a convienient point, and mix them (most easily and smoothly done with a simple expression 2).

Fin settings wise, always no lift and flat surface dynamics.

For effeciency, I start at 100 and go up, rarely do you ever use an efficency below 100. The fighter uses efficencies of 500 on control surfaces that weigh 50.

Using that system I’ve made pretty much everything from 1940’s monplanes to biplanes to fighter jets that preform well at source’s max speed.

(some were realitively good looking, but not quite worth a post, though I might post my 1930’s plane when the server I built it in comes back up). The fighter I made was cool in function but not overly attractive, though it wasnt ugly either.

Thanks for that, thats exactly what I was looking for. I can’t get on to gmod right now but I’ll try that later.

Also, I know Cantido already mentioned it, but using the settings you posted what’s the max angle you usually tilt the control surfaces to? Just so I know what I need when I make the frame.

Really depends. On my fighter, which I guess is a decent approximation, about 45*. that can always be increased and decreased by changing the fin efficency and shifting hydro length further, to deliver similar responsiveness and more or less angle. At the low speeds of the 1930’s plane, If I want to, I could get the angle past 80*, but the angle i have it set to go to is again about 45*, just using this kinda thing

@Outputs Length
@Inputs W S

Length=10

if(W){Length=20}
if(S){Length=10}

And just expirementing with those values until it looks and behaves like I want it to.

Max angle is really dependent on 4 things:
Speed
Weight of control surface (effects fin efficency and hydro strength)
Weight of Prop hydro is attatched to (effects hydro strength)
Fin efficeny

@Matt
For me hydros involving nograv have always been iffy, working about 50% of the time, but I’ve never been able to make it work if both props the hydro is fixed between are nograved. Last time i tried this I tried to make a fin controlled space ship. (i was pretty bored) Anyway, I had forgotten hydros reacted that way. As soon as the craft exited the atmosphere, it instantly spazzed, flew everywhere, then gmod crashed before I could catch it.

Try the massless thrusters… i think it will probably work properly

A 45 degree control surface deflection will give the maximum possible turning moment. It also creates drag from hell, however.

Thanks for the ideas guys, but I hate when someone comes in and asks a totally different question (fins, which aren’t elevators). I mean most of the replies are to that guy above who derailed the topic.

Anyways I am going to try the easy precision slider, and mess around with hydraulics again.

Wow, total thread hijack there krail9. Just start your own damn thread, not take over somebody else’s thread.

Anyways, -Matt-94, Haywood is right, you should try using the easy precision sliders. I should also mention that sometimes if the weight of the object is too much, or too little, the sliders tend to spaz out. If you are using a slider, be sure to untick the fixed setting on the hydralic, otherwise you could still face the same problem.

To be on the safe side, I would add more sliders for a little more stability, instead of one in the middle or something.

Lolz. Sorry. I don’t know if you’ve seen my punching arms video, but I used hydraulics, sliders, and adv. ballsocket to keep the control points from spazzing out. The one thing I’ve found is that if you have more props adv. ballsocketed together, the more stable the prop will be.

If I were you, I’d adv. ballsocket the elevator peice about 10 times or more to different non moving props so the elevator will be less likely to bend or twist. Don’t forget to allow free movement.

I never thought about adv. ballsocket! That would probably work to keep it still, thanks man!

Sorry about the hijack so to speak, I thought that what MacTrekkie said effectively made your problem solved :v: Give me boxes.

As for your problem, like others said using adv. ballsocketed props with an easy p slider works perfectly.

Yeah probably. Didnt occur to me either

i use hoverballs…for * EVERYTHING *

No prob bro.