how could you make garry's mod run smooth on a cheap laptop

i wanted to know if i could do any thing to make gmod run smoother and/or faster
My system Specs

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name OWNER-PC
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
  CPU Type                                          Mobile , 1833 MHz (11.5 x 159)
  Motherboard Name                                  Dell Latitude D620
  Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM
  System Memory                                     2037 MB  (DDR2 SDRAM)
  BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (05/16/08)
  Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
  Video Adapter                                     Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family  (224 MB)
  Video Adapter                                     Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family  (224 MB)
  Monitor                                           Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
  Audio Adapter                                     Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
  IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
  SCSI/RAID Controller                              Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
  Disk Drive                                        FUJITSU MHW2080BJ G2 ATA Device  (74 GB, IDE)
  Optical Drive                                     TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D ATA Device

Not sure if thats too much so yeah

Really no way especially since you have an integrated chipset.

adding “-dxlevel 80” to the launch options should be enough to get an igp running alright

Ok i try that

I have to admit that is a really bad laptop for gaming. Try lowering down the graphic setting in Options. It cuts down the amount of work done on the GPU and CPU.

Avoid multiplayer servers, you will lag badly there

I play on intergrated graphics,

however i have
i5
6GB RAM
1TB HDD
2.67 GHz

overall my laptop is great, but the graphics (intergrated) are bad.

Not all Intel integrateds are bad now, but his most certainly is.
I’m saying this because my laptop still pulls 20 fps max on a laggy map with a shitload of addons (including a massive number of people wearing PAC3 outfits) on medium/high settings. I think that’s pretty impressive for an Intel GMA HD 3000 series.
So that generalization is pretty much false now.

That Dell is so old, and not tailored to gaming. But as butre suggested for DX8.0 it should help a fair bit.

Other than that if you want better performance you should opt for a PC if you don’t move around a lot. Or a decent machine from Lenovo y500/y510/y580 or one of the Inspiron 15R or 17R if you want to stick with a laptop.

I bolded the possible bottlenecks to said performance, and I still strongly suggest a new laptop or desktop.

You could try turning off Aero seeing you have Vista and other applications that you don’t need running. It helped my old old laptop a fair bit too.

You might want to set the graphics settings to the lowest.

It’s not the generalization, it’s the fact that Garry has said multiple times that integrated chipsets can cause huge graphical issues and he does not support them. If it’s working for you and the game is playable, then good.

The Intel HD series are pretty good. But normal Intel GMA are bad. If you look online there are several console commands to lower the graphics further than the lowest settings, but it will be difficult as Garry’s Mod runs slower than general Source games because of the extra LUA stuff etc