How do I get a key for S&Box?

(Question in title)

2 Likes

that’s the neat thing you don’t

2 Likes

Jokes aside, you need to join the queue on S&box

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a shame really. Understandable to not just have a flood of users, but apparently I’ll have access in 9 Years haha! I never created content for the workshop as my time on Garrys Mod was all when it was an external website and mods were installed manually etc haha. Made a few mods and game modes over the years but obviously all pre-workshop.

2 Likes

yeah, as a software developer who hasn’t done workshop stuff but wants to get involved with s&box, the key system can be disappointing as it is limited to a specific subset of qualified developers.

4 Likes

This is not the key system, this is the queue system.
Back when they were giving out actual keys to people you could just post your github and garry himself would send you one.

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean, is there another way to get early access to create game modes?

1 Like

Unless you’re a prodigy with a nice portfolio, then no.

The priority order for the different key waves was:

1st: People who were already following and excited for S&box (Of all skill levels, these would be the ones who would contribute the most regardless)

2nd: Notable or good developers (They would get nominated, were likely to do some quality contributions)

3rd: Modders with high workshop score for related games (By and large, good chance they have a background in modding, sliver of chance for contributions)

4th: Randoms who don’t fit in any of the categories (Didn’t know about S&box, get nominated or got first in the queue, high chance they won’t be all that useful)

They are still willing to accept n° 2, because one good modder, who is willing to reach out for a chance of getting a key, is better than 1000 n° 4 who just play a couple of gamemodes, see the game is unfinished, and proceed to never open it again.

1 Like

That’s a shame! I have over 2000 Hours in Garry’s Mod. I bet a good percentage of that was just whilst developing/testing stuff. It’s understandable that only the ‘notable’ current active developers get access, there’s probably loads of other people in the same boat as myself too but makes sense wanting to just support the people that are porting over existing popular modes etc.

That queue is kind of doomed now though, 40k people that likely just registered for the fun of it on the off chance of getting an early key. It cuts out the people who are genuinely interested in making new plugins/tools/gamemodes etc but don’t have a rapport on the workshop.

1 Like