How do I get an npc_helicopter to fire missiles?

I’m almost done this boss fight I’m working on, but it’s kind of boring how the helicopter only uses its machine gun. I see the missileon input, which I activated when the helicopter spawns, but it still doesn’t fire missiles. Am I doing something wrong, or do the missiles only work for scripted events?

Do you mean helicopter bombs?

No, heli bombs are controlled by a different set of inputs.

As far as I know, the helicopters don’t fire any missiles.

When the Combine attack Black Mesa East after you play catch with Dog, if you hang around outside Dog’s kennel a Combine Heli comes and fires a load of missiles into a pipe.

Wow, I actually never knew that, that’s quite cool :xd:

That is cool. Gotta find out how to do that.

Yeah, if someone can find out how, a cookie for you.

[editline]09:22PM[/editline]

Wait, has anybody checked the VDC?

BE RIGHT BACK!

[editline]09:23PM[/editline]

Dammit, no documentation for it…

Not entirely relevant but questions like this should go in the sticky. Just so you know next time.

I was gonna mention that part, but couldn’t remember where in the game it was. That’s what I was talking about when I asked if they were only for scripted events, but for all I know that might not have been scripted.

For now, I’m trying to parent an invisible func_tankrocket to the helicopter. It attaches to the helicopter fine, but doesn’t fire for some reason, even though I did “SetTargetEntity !player” and activated it. Am I missing something else?

This post reminds me of Hawx.

:raise:?

Nope not Hawx, I’m Sphinxa279, long time lurker, just started posting recently.

Why has nobody suggested decompiling the HL2 map to take a look at how Valve did it?

I just tried that, and it turns out I wasn’t too far off with my func_tankrocket idea. That map uses two npc_launchers that are parented to the helicopter, so the missiles aren’t actually launched from the copter.