How do I set up Hammer?

Alright, so I’m trying to get Hammer to work so I can use it again, but I can’t seem to get a damn thing to work properly.

-The game it always open up for mapping is Team Fortress 2, and I can’t figure out how to change that.
-Loading any .vm(t or f, cant remember which) will state that I am missing a prop on the map and display a fatal error and crash.

Any ideas on what to do?

games like hl2 tf2 css and gmod have there own Hammer, start the hammer from the games bin folder and everything will be ok

is deadpotato hades?

Yes I am, Dark.

[editline]15th October 2015[/editline]

Now receiving this error:

I don’t even have a folder called cstrike in that directory.

Just create the folder and copy the garrysmod gameinfo.txt to the folder :slight_smile:

Creaate Hammer.bat right where the hammer.exe is, and run it instead of running hammer.exe.

Contents of the .bat

@echo off
:: Batch file to launch Hammer editor with proper environment

:: Confirm VPROJECT variable is set
PUSHD .
CD "%~d0%~p0..\garrysmod\"
SET VPROJECT=%CD%
POPD
echo VPROJECT=%VPROJECT%

:: Launch Hammer
echo Starting hammer...
echo Executing "%~d0%~p0hammer.exe" %*
start "" "%~d0%~p0hammer.exe" %*

This worked for launching it, but I literally cannot change the 4 view panels to not look like:

[editline]15th October 2015[/editline]

Ill try this now

I tried that, and it gave me the same exact missing gameinfo.txt error

You are not using Source SDK of any kind are you?

[editline]16th October 2015[/editline]

You can also try a bat with these contents:

hammer.exe -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod"

For TF2:

hammer.exe -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2	f"

Of course the paths must be valid.

If all else fails, Source Multi-Tool

So I only skimmed through the post you need to set up the material, etc.

if thats the SDK your using then no wonder your getting problems, since steampipe use Hammer in
steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\bin

Here is my guide for steam-pipe I made a while back, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280167273 a nice handful of people have used it and I seem to have little complaints, I am willing to help out any one who is confused on my guide or hammer in general.

This gives you some nice tools to use, and it will teach you how to use a setup that will allow you to use ANY source game’s content without putting in it directly in your Garry’s mod folder. So it’s cleaner, and it will let you test your maps with a setup most people will have, so your textures and props will be spot on no matter who uses the map.