How do I start

I have read some guides and watched some videos but I am unclear on how I can get the hatchet after I start. I played for a hour or so for my first time last night and was able to get some loot but nothing to craft the hatchet. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

You need wood (obvious) and metal fragments which can be obtained by putting metal ore (from rocks) into a campfire.

First you have to gather the materials needed to craft a hatchet. You need wood and metal ore for this. You then craft a fireplace using the wood, open the fireplace by holding “e” while looking at it and click open.

Drag and drop the metal ore from your inventory to the fireplaces inventory and wait for it to smelt into metal fragments. When this is done, you drag and drop the metal fragments back into your inventory (you need 10 to craft the hatchet), open your crafting menu, scroll down and find “Hatchet” under weapons. Click on the hatchet, click craft, wait for 20 seconds and voila, you now own your very own hatchet.

Am I able to obtain wood by using the rock?

Hi Relapse! Welcome to Rust.

You can get a hatchet from gathering wood from trees, and from metal fragements. You can collect iron ore from rocks scattered around the area, but they have to be smelted first. In order to smelt Iron, sulfur, and to cook food, you must hold E (or whatever your use button is) over the fire, and select use. you may now drop items into the fire. However, smelting takes time!

Good Luck!

You can use your rock in place of a hatchet, it’s just slower.

Yes, although it is rather slow. You are better off with a hatchet once you craft it.

Ok thanks for the tips. I guess I will gather the resources for the hatchet with the rock and go from there. Thanks!

You wanted to test this game, but knew nothing about it? LOL man i watched at least 70H of videos and live streams before getting a key, and by applying common scence and watching about 3 minutes of youtube, or reading the first guide on the wiki you would know wood comes from trees…

All you need to do is stream snipe Teig, he leaves a very generous crate of loot on top of one of the main buildings in the game.
Welcome.

If he does that for people why in the fucking world, would you kill him ass hole.

oh i wasnt saying kill him silly, i ment watch his stream, find the box… was more of a joke then anything, calm down, shesh.

This means to watch someones stream to get there location and kill them…

Ah my mistake, Stream box
fixed.

Teig will get the joke ^^

Nah man you said that on purpose or you have no idea what you are talking about, i’m a streamer and that’s not even trolling, thats being a douche bag.

bahaha, so mad.

what i said even though it was a joke because i was watching his stream last night, it was actually good information, a box on a roof with loot for a new guy is a good thing, but in order to find the box would require you to watch his stream.

am i really explaining this to a human being? my god.

I’d snip that usless comment, or you might get banned.

Can’t you just leave this guy alone? It’s a Rust subforum, and the last time I checked you can’t decide what people are allowed to post here.

[editline]13th September 2013[/editline]

Again, just leave it. No point in taking everything 100% seriously.

I didnt just wondering why he spent 60 dollars on a game and knew nothing about it… And last time i checked you just got into my buisness…

I won’t but thanks for caring.