How do you ignite a player

Hello, I got a quick question. How would you go about igniting a player from a list. I’m trying to make a simple admin mod with commands like Ignite Slay kick ban.

This is what I have so far.

[LUA]
– DComboBox
local list = vgui.Create( “DComboBox” )
list:SetParent(menu )
list:SetSize( 100, 200)
list:SetPos( 15, 100 )
list:SetMultiple( false )
for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll() ) do
list:AddItem( v:Nick() )

– Ignite Command
local ignite = vgui.Create(“DButton”)
ignite:SetSize( 150, 25 )
ignite:SetPos( 10, 100 )
ignite:SetText(“Ignite”)
ignite:SetParent( commandspanel )
ignite:DoClick = function( ) – Line 153
for k, v in pairs(palyer.GetAll() ) do
if v:list:GetSelectedItems()[1]:GetValue() then – If the player is selected from the DComboBox then Ignite them
v:Ignite( 1, 50 )
end
end
end

– This is the Error Im getting [RunString:153] function arguments expected near ‘=’
[/LUA]
I got GetSelectedItems()[1]:GetValue() from the wiki so I think thats how you get the player. Any help would be appreciated.

Here’s what’s wrong with your code:

1. For loop on line 7: you never gave it an “end”.
  2. You’re getting the syntax wrong. In Lua, you either define the function like

[lua]-- this
function ignite:DoClick() end

– or this
ignite.DoClick = function() end[/lua]
3. Line 17, it’s “player” not “palyer”.
4. Line 18, it’s not “v:list”, it’s just “list”.
5. Also on Line 18, you’ll want to compare the value you got to v:Nick(). As it is, you’re just checking to see if it exists or not (which it will).
6. You can’t ignite people from the client (line 19). Instead, you’ll need to use a concommand of some sorts (i.e. “ignite_player [name]”).

Okay thanks for the help. But I’ve got a new problem. I’ve made a Igniting command but whenever I type Ignite Bot01 in console it ingites me instead.
[LUA]
function IgniteThem( ply, cmd, args )

if ( args[1] ) then   
ply:Ignite( 10, 1 )

end

end
concommand.Add(“Ignite”, IgniteThem)
[/LUA]

ply is who called the command, you called the command so you get ignited, change it to something like

[lua]args[1]:Ignite (10,1)[/lua]

Though if you mistype their name it’ll throw up an error so you may want to write some code to catch an error, maybe something like(not tested)

[lua]

if ( args[1] ) then  
    if (args[1]:IsPlayer()) then
        args[1]:Ignite( 10, 1 )
    else 
        print ("Player not found!")
    end     
end

end
[/lua]

You could use a FindPlayer function, like this, which would allow you type partial names:

[lua]
function FindPlayer(info)
local pls = player.GetAll()
for k, v in pairs(pls) do
if string.find(string.lower(v:Name()), string.lower(tostring(info)), 1, true) ~= nil then
return v
end
end
return nil
end
if ( args[1] ) then
local target = FindPlayer(args[1])
if target != nil then
target:Ignite( 10, 1 )
else
print (“Player not found!”)
end
else
print(“Invalid arguments”)
end
end
[/lua]

I see, Thanks for the help both of you!

If I may ask something here:

How can you make ConCommands admin only, because otherwise if I used soemthing like this and then other players in the server found the command, they would randomly ignite each other, whereas I want only admins to be able to see and use it

[lua]
concommand.Add(“admin_only”,function(ply,cmd,args)
if !ply:IsAdmin() then return end
–do stuff
end)
[/lua]

Could I do:

[lua]function Bob()
–Blah blah
end

function Jim()
–Blah blah
end

function ConCommands(ply,cmd,args)
if !plyIsAdmin() then return end
concommand.Add(“bob”, Bob)
concommand.Add(“jim”, Jim)
end
end[/lua]

Think about what that code would do. Let’s take a look at your ConCommands function.
[lua]function ConCommands(ply,cmd,args)
if !plyIsAdmin() then return end
concommand.Add(“bob”, Bob)
concommand.Add(“jim”, Jim)
end
end[/lua]
You have one ‘end’ too much, because your if closure is already ended with an end at line 2. Let’s see what this function does… when a player who is an admin calls this function, two new console commands are added. So, as soon as an admin has made the server add those console commands, all people will be able to run ‘jim’ and ‘bob’ in their console. Is that what you want?

1. Sorry about that extra end, I wasn’t really paying attention at the time and I just quickly made a code that seemed as if it would work at the time, but after looking into it and you explaining what I did it obviously won’t

2. I was just trying to make another version of Ralle’s code in which I could first specify the function, and then link it to a console command that could only be seen and ran by admins and make all of those Console Commands admin only at once

You could do something like this:

[lua]local commands = {}

commands.bob = function( ply, args )

end

commands.jim = function( ply, args )

end

local function adminCommandHandler( ply, com, args )
if ( ply:IsAdmin() ) then
commands[com]( ply, args )
end
end

for com, func in pairs( commands ) do
concommand.Add( com, adminCommandHandler )
end[/lua]

Tell me if I need to explain anything.

Hey, back with a question. Thought I’d just add onto this thread rather than make a new one. I’m trying to make a Noclip command based off what Jimbodude said. The problem is, is that it doesn’t work. I don’t get any errors it just doesn’t work.

[LUA]
function NahClip( ply, cmd, args )
if ( args[1] ) then
local target = FindPlayer( args[1] )
if target != nill then
target:SetMoveType(MOVETYPE_NOCLIP)
end
end
end
concommand.Add(“noclipem”, Nahclip)
[/LUA]

I would guess it has something to do with:

1. Make sure you are not in noclip at the time of running this command if its on yourself
    Use THIS to make sure that you switch the movetype depending on what your current state is
  2. You spelt “nil” wrong in line 4

Still can’t get it to work, I made sure I wasn’t nocliped allready and I changed nill to nil. Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve got the same issue, despite following a previous thread dedicated to this problem (their solution tried to use the spectate and unspectate command) and neither work, did Garry shift around the functions or something?

Are you sure the function is being called? Did you add a message above the noclip line and did it print?

Actually, It won’t print. Any help would be appreciated.

[LUA]
function NoclipPlayer(ply, cmd, args)
if ( args[1] ) then
local target = FindPlayer( args[1] )
if target != nil then
print(“test”)
target:SetMoveType(MOVETYPE_NOCLIP )
end
end
end

concommand.Add(“NoclipThePlayer”, NoclipPlayer)
[/LUA]

That’s weird. I just ran the command in console manually And it printed Test and I was nocliped

This is the button command on my Derma panel that runs it. Any help would be apreciated.

[LUA]
local noclip = vgui.Create(“DButton”)
noclip:SetSize( 150, 25 )
noclip:SetPos( 170, 70 )
noclip:SetText(“NoClip” )
noclip:SetParent( commandspanel )
noclip.Doclick = function()
for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll() ) do
if list:GetSelectedItems()[1]:GetValue() == v:Nick() then
RunConsoleCommand(“NoclipThePlayer”, v:GetName() )
end
end
end
[/LUA]

Try printing what is passed as an argument and what FindPlayer compares it to.