How does one properly make a Half Life 2 RP?

**One thing I know for sure is having a ruleset of:

1. Roleplay
    That’s all. Nothing more. Things happening in game should be dealt with in RP. Administrators should only step in due to exploiters/hackers.

**I had a few other suggestions thrown at me:
**1. Instead of having a system where people have to apply on the forums, it should just happen in-game. Citizens should be taken away by combine and assembled, meanwhile rebel forces could find a citizen and have him join the rebels.
This way things happen organically and aren’t forced. The limitation of this however is – there has to be players in the first place.

1. A turn-based combat system. I’m unsure how to feel about this, as I feel people play HL2RP to RP. Just the mindset of play2lose and purposely miss is pretty retarded, in my opinion.

2. A roundbased system. Yes, a roundbased system. That way different people become combine, different people do different things at different times. Things reset daily, or so. Everything is kept fresh this way. Opinions on this, in specific? Space Station 13 does it well, however, Space Station 13 isn’t HL2RP. I’d like to see some opinions on this in specific, as it could change up the gamemode a lot. Of course, this means things have to progress faster, and… Half Life 2 RP isn’t known for being a “fast” gamemode.

Anything really is possible. I’m reaching out to make a server that isn’t the generic clockwork spin. I have other features in mind that I’m really not too eager to share, if you’d like message me and we can have an in-depth conversation about these things! I’d like to take a lot of community input before moving forth and creating a server.

edit: Something I forgot to mention is a dynamic, thriving economy. One where citizens can earn money themselves, somehow. I’m unsure how – but I’ve been thinking of things and can’t really figure it out.
The next one is, part of the charm of a server I heard of: TnB. They allow citizens to actually do things! Stuff like owning bars and such, instead of having citizens just be… there.

other: jobs for citizens, pac based clothing systems, farming

In order to combat anysense of deathmatching, you really need to look into depth what is the problem with HL2RP. Frequently we find players bored out of their minds, and because of this you generally have to deal with players that are bored, have weapons, and have ammo for said weapons. Tends not to work out to hot.
Try implementing some form of industrial/job scene the civilians partake in, have it so anyone can theoretically/physically rebel but once they are in the Outlands or whatever its up to them to survive, also add farming.

The reason you want to add farming is because it creates a realistic way for almost every player to conduct themselves during the off hours, and by having means of economic structure, you can create a system where players will be able to operate in a semi-capitalistic system that is controlled by the Combine overall via the credit system.

Overall, physical items should require means of production. Not just using an F3 menu and purchasing it. Also flagging systems are the fucking anti-christ outside of combine.

Baha, thank you! I just edited the post with that, actually.

The issue is – what type of jobs would we go for?
Farming could be a definite yes. I like the idea a lot, having a way to supply your own self.

I’m thinking of things such as – a situation where combine are giving away rations. In order to give away those rations, the rations have to be made in the first place. Citizens can then go and help make rations. That’s just one example – but it could add more to do. I suppose this is what you mean in terms of jobs citizens can partake in, along with items actually having to be produced.

edit: Also, how would you feel about that roundbased system?

In the Half Life 2 Beta there were factories and industry where the citizens worked. One of the jobs you saw people doing was working as a stenographer where they literally sat at combine computer workstations and endlessly pressed buttons based on symbols that appeared on the screen (a la The Stanley Parable). It’s a great metaphor for the corporate rule of the combine.

You could implement something similar by having workstations that become available periodically that each citizen can work on for 2 minutes or so and receive some credit payout. That would be the basic employment, then once you gathered enough credits you could buy a bar or business of some description (selling medical supplies, food, etc, have access to areas of the map like storage houses so you can smuggle in contraband) and sell items to people or start working as a low ranking civil workers union member or combine supplier (helps Civil Protection without having a uniform or gun/stunstick) depending on the career path you want to follow. It gives citizens something to go out and do besides getting rations, but it mostly acts as a stepping stone to other positions.

In the beta, they also had re-purposed school buses that would deliver citizens around. You could pull a bus vehicle off the workshop and have citizens work as bus drivers that deliver people to work and back.

I see, terminals with that function wouldn’t be hard to make. I suppose the credit payout would be automatically received?

I think the most important thing that every ‘serious’ roleplay server gets wrong right now is combat. This freeform shit does not work for reasons people have known for a very long time - everyone wants to win 100% of the time. Everyone feels like they’re the protagonist of the story and the universe should bend to make their narrative more exciting.

So how do you make it fair? Turns out a game called D&D was literally invented to solve this problem and a few like it. So use a solution from D&D. The D&D combat system can be simplified down to rolling with difficulty checks. What is a difficulty check? It’s just a numerical threshold for success, with the degree for success/failure depending on how far in either direction the roller is from the difficulty check. Say that someone is about to (try to) punch someone else, and both players agree in OOC (or a game master says) that the difficulty check should be 20 - that is, he has a 80% chance to successfully hit the other player without missing and without the other guy dodging.

If he rolls 19 or lower, he will miss/the guy will dodge, but as his roll approaches 0 his failure becomes progressively worse - if he rolls 19, the guy might narrowly dodge. If he rolls 0, the guy will dodge easily, throwing the puncher off-balance and causing him to fall to the floor. If he rolls 20, which just barely satisfies the difficulty check, he’ll hit the guy, but it’ll hardly do anything - maybe push him a little. It’s not a solid punch. Then if he rolls something like 60-80 it’ll be a solid hit that really clonks the guy, and if he rolls 100 it’ll knock him out cold.

So, why bother with difficulty checks? The classical problem with pure rolling is that it does not numerically take into account situational/initiative advantages, which strips away all the strategy and forethought from combat and makes it pure luck. This doesn’t do that, and every serious roleplay server should be using it, but sadly they’re all cash cows and don’t care about any of this.

Turn based actions could be fun. I think /me’s have become stupid.

A lot of servers require you to /me every little action, some players go too far.

/me looks at the man

Like no shit, you’re looking at me.

/me scratches his arm

Nah, stop this shit. All the time my chat box gets filled with stupid /me’s that add nothing to the story or experience, and a lot of the time administration encourage it.

[editline]11th October 2014[/editline]

To me, I always wanted role play to be a game and not some cringe-worthy 50 shades of gay novel where nobody is doing anything fun.

I agree. Unless you’re opening the door or looking at the man in a certain way (ie glaring or so) then one shouldn’t /me “looking at the man”. That removes every point of having a 3D environment to roleplay in!

May I ask how you feel about the round-system?

Another thing we can do similar to Space Station 13 is – instead of you having to /me when you hit someone with the weapon it prints a message in the chat, so you don’t have to /me it. All depends how you people feel about it. We could go as far as to have turn-based combat, but the issue is: Do people want that?

At that point it’s hardly indistinguishable from DarkRP, isn’t it? Combat should definitely be a place where players roleplay.

Not sure what you mean by turn-based combat. Regular freeform /me combat is already pretty much turn-based.

Turn-based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMIINpBv38 XCOM, type of deal. I don’t think it’d work in HL2RP because the whole point is to roleplay, but… yeah. Ideas are nice.

Of course – I suppose that roleplay still does get done in SS13 – but because it has a different community and a 2D game, it’s different.

I forgot to comment on the rest of your post. As for in-game applications for everything, I agree with you. That’s the best way.

Not sure exactly how a round system would work for HL2RP. I think you could definitely establish a more rigid time schedule and it would have the same cyclic nature as a round system. The simplest iteration would just be to implement a curfew at night, at which point no citizens can legally be outdoors. This would establish a definite day-to-day feel.

Player economies are extremely hard to create even for standalone games. The best things you can do, relevent to HL2RP, are add more uses for tokens, never devalue tokens as donation incentives, and obviously add a wide range of ways tokens are introduced into the economy.

This would take script work, too. Creation of fun jobs. Something like adding a system for citizens to order things with tokens, at which point they must be teleported to the Citadel then shipped to the player’s designated dropoff point, perhaps by some civilians who are paid for their work. These sorts of dynamic systems also create a lot of interesting roleplay scenarios - what happens if rebels decide to start intercepting deliveries, or etc?

I would abolish the ‘CWU’ concept entirely if I was going for a serious economy - it makes working seem way too exclusive and troublesome to get into, rather than a fun and potentially one-off thing. Too much of the HL2RP content is stuck behind an application process.

I see. I completely agree with you, and will take that into consideration. I’ll write a list of jobs to make and add to the server.

The point of a roundbased system as stated to me was – “Not the same CP every day. Different roles for different people.”

So if you’re a CP one round, you can be a civilian the next, or a rebel. This way things don’t just stay stale.

Ah. But people definitely expect a continuity to their characters with any ‘serious’ roleplay. I don’t know how a hard-reset round system could be popular, but maybe it could.

CombineControl had a nice gun system. You could just shoot on your own, but you had to deal with some inaccuracy scripted within the weapons.

That could also be a thing, yeah.

I believe that a pac-based clothing system may also benefit as it could add more detailed customizations and make life a bit more bland – whether that fits into the lore or not…

Anywho: Another thing is, how would crafting work? Can you do it anywhere? Do you have to go to a specific workstation? Do you need to gain knowledge ingame? Do you have the recipe automatically unlocked? Do you just hit craft?

What would you guys like to see?

I’d like to see it so you have small and easy improvisable things which anyone can do anywhere provided they have the materials. These should be moderately useful things like soda-can stoves, improvised weapons, food recipes, etc.

Then have some more difficult ones which require workbenches and recipes. Recipes should, as with all top-end things, come from the Combine in some capacity. Maybe they sell some of them, maybe others are stored in the backrooms of relevant CWU establishments, maybe others like high-end weapon recipes are kept under guard in the Citadel. The workbenches to make super-high-end stuff could be placed in deliberately dangerous areas, so people aren’t just sitting in their apartments cranking out AR2s or whatever all day.

I just talked to Alex Grist the other day about how different people prefer combat in RP. I remember how we had a lot of debates in my communities before LemonPunch regarding the topic. Many people think the roll command exists for some kind of turned based combat, whereas it was never intended for it. It was purely intended for roleplaying gambling etc.

I’ve always pushed for reducing red tape and complexity in RP combat, since it usually creates a rather unrealistic and unfair experience despite the possible good intentions. You can’t replace human reaction and stress with some overly restrictive turn based system in my opinion. Doesn’t mean that you can structure combat RP up a bit - we have a rather firm rule on the topic.

"20.

• You need to type a well-developed /me before attacking someone.
• Firefights or melee fights cannot be initiated by a bind of any form.
• If your weapon is in your inventory, you need to type /me several times and respect your target’s reactions.
• Shooting cannot commence until both sides of the firefight have finished typing any /me that is being written, and keep in mind that radioing in or yelling are not a /me and do not grant any immunity before a firefight.
• You do not need to /me any further once the firefight has started.
• In firefights it is always shoot to kill unless specified by a Senior Administrator or above.
• You must always FearRP and PainRP. That means you cannot go “Rambo” and charge or run around if you have been shot in your legs. (OTA are somewhat excused from this part)
• You cannot heal yourself mid-combat, regardless of faction. Any heals must be after the fighting is over and must be rp’d, even the most basic form of rp is accepted here. (eg: “/me injects the health vial into his/her arm)”

Essentially this rules gives everybody a fair chance and doesn’t intervene once combat has actually started.

Give players objectives to do, like quests or something. Even if it’s really basic like collect x of y on the map, it’s a nice addition

Gurrazor, you talk about reducing red tape and complexity for combat, then you dive into a set of rules, many of which are silly and which collectively do not begin to address the enormous number of problems with freeform roleplay combat. For example, you talk about FearRP and PainRP being mandatory, which is just silly - in real life, people often do not even know they’ve been shot until they check. Human beings behave strangely when they’re in mortal danger. Adrenaline is pretty good stuff. Anyway, the point is that you tout ‘intuitiveness’ as the main advantage of freeform roleplay combat, but directly afterward admit that there are many (demonstrably fallible) rules which have to be followed to make it work best. How is that intuitive? You can understand a complex system like my aforementioned ‘rolling with difficulty checks’ in the same amount of time it takes to comprehend those rules.

I’m quite sure that the best way to do roleplay combat was figured out a long time ago. A whole lot of people thought about this for a long time when D&D was being designed. The ideal combat system for serious roleplaying is outlined above.