How does this work?

Sooooooooooo, I bought Rust last week and I have no clue how to redeem the game or how to even begin this shit.

Someone help me out lel

What do you mean, redeem the game? Where did you buy it if not on Steam?

Humble Store my friend.

Go into your Humble Library and look for Rust in the list. It should either give you a serial number (which you will redeem on Steam using the “Add a Game…” button in the lower left and choosing “Activate a Product on Steam” and following the instructions) or ask you to associate your Steam account with your Humble account by logging into Steam.

If Humble sends you to the correct Steam Community login page (https://steamcommunity.com/openid/login), it’s legit, log in. Once you associate the account, Humble should activate Rust on your Steam account automatically.

I should’ve just bought this via Steam man.

The Library doesn’t show Rust, because when I bought the game, I hadn’t signed up here, assuming I’d get a gamecode to activate the game/get a downloadable client…

Now I know that’s not the case, I have no clue how to get this fixed.

Phew. Humble is the only other official place to purchase. We’ve seen a number of people complaining about fly-by-night “gift” sites skunking them.

I would imagine Humble has given you a redemption code. I would also imagine you have to download and install steam and then enter the redemption/gift code in steam.

That’s how it would usually work.

You can’t play Rust (legitimately) without Steam.

[editline]28th May 2014[/editline]

Check your emails for a redemption code from Humble.

Got any email from Humble? I have Rust from before it was even on Steam, so I don’t know what you’re facing right now, I only know what happened when I preordered Goat Simulator and FRACT OSC from them (and it worked fine).

"Thanks for purchasing from the Humble Store!

The payment process you have chosen usually takes 3-7 business days to complete. We’ll let you know as soon as we have an update.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reply to this e-mail and we’ll get back to you ASAP."

Payment has been made 2 days ago, still no followup email with any sort of redemption code whatsoever.

Okay, so 2 calendar days is less than 3-7 business days.

Your payment is still processing. You haven’t actually finished paying for it yet.

If you get it to work, please post here so others may be able to use the information. Good luck!

So 6-10 days for paypal verification and then another 3-7 for Humble? Really?

When you made the payment in Paypal itself, what type of payment did you use? A bank transfer?

My paypal isn’t linked to a creditcard, so it takes 6-10 days. That time has passed now.

Well, hold on. You said Paypal verification took 6-10 days. Explain exactly what you did in that stage, because I don’t have a clear picture of what your choices were with Paypal and it’s confusing, because this is either completely normal and you just weren’t expecting it to be so slow in 2014, or there’s something weird with Humble’s processing from Paypal that I’ve never encountered.

Please tell me what source of funding Paypal is using. I don’t want to know identifying details like account numbers, but I mean the type, as in not a credit card.

When your paypal account has no creditcard linked to it, all payments you make are with a delay, for security reasons or some odd shit like that.

The mail I got from them said it would take 6-10 days to process.
The mail I got from Humble said it would take 3-7 days to process.

I’m 20 years old, I don’t have a creditcard, Paypal is trolling me.

Edit: My paypal is linked to my bankaccount, that’s the issue here, not sure why it’s taking thís long though.

Based on the info you just gave, I’m presuming that you set up the payment source prior and the 6-10 days was actually transferring money in from your bank account. This was unclear before. If the payment source was already set up, and the 6-10 days was for Paypal to actually receive the cash, and then it’s taking 3-7 more days for that money to move from your active Paypal balance into Humble, that’s weird.

If you actually needed to verify your account for the very first transfer, and that took 6-10 days, and now you’ve made the payment and the money is transferring, this is pretty much normal, as annoying as it is.

If Paypal is trolling you while you’re trying to purchase a game on the Humble Store so it can be activated on Steam, all of these moving parts are completely out of anyone’s control. At least anyone on this forum.

I don’t know specifically about the Netherlands, but this works in Canada. If you can get prepaid credit cards over there, add one to your account, pretty much any balance. You can spend the balance on the card itself, just don’t overdraft.

If it works for you the way it does for me, Paypal should now trust you to do instant transactions on the front, and they’ll wait for the bank transfer to clear in 6-10. If it fails, they’ll debit the credit card – and this is where you need to be careful to make sure Paypal can debit your bank account, because if they can’t and they also can’t debit the (empty) prepaid card, they won’t be happy with you because you’re basically bouncing checks on them.

Account already verified, used it before, just the 6-10 days delay on it because of no creditcard thing, no clue why.

However this works, I should be getting an email from Humble with a code that I can redeem on Steam anytime soon now?

Yes, you should be.

Anytime between tomorrow and next Tuesday. If Paypal shows the payment’s gone all the way through on their end, but Humble still doesn’t have it together after 7 business days, that’s unusual for them and you should definitely hit up their customer service.

But, you’re only just now coming into the window of time for it to process, so this isn’t too concerning, if annoying and stupid. Everything should be fine, if really delayed.

I shoulda done this via Steam, coulda used iDeal and got that shit instantly.

If only I knew then what I know now…

Thanks for the help though guys!