How effective is the foundation-pillar strategy?

I’ve recently started placing foundations with pillars around my base in the hopes of preventing raiders from building stairs.

Say I made three or four layers of these, how could raiders get around it?

There are 2 ways. You can build into every base no matter how high they are with or without stairs.

What are the two ways? Foundations and pillars are both currently indestructible so if I build several layers of them how could they build stairs?

say you build your center pillars 2 high, i build the corners 3 high and start the stairs there, with another set to get on those.

you need to build the pillars as high as you can

but that is only effective against non exploiters/hackers

You can build a foundation, next to the 3-rd layer of your foundations. Place pillars on the corners, and build stairs until you get on the level of the height of the pillars that you have placed. Next, you add pillars on the 3-rd layer of the foundations on the corners, and place a ceiling. Then, you can easily build stairs on the foundation that was supposed to defend the base.

I’m not sure if I explained it correctly, or that it’s understandable. It’d be best to show it.

You need to build pillars on every possible location of a foundation. If your base is 4 stories high, the middle pillar goes 3 stories high, the rest 4 then you plonk a ceiling over thme all.
You will need at least 2 layers of foundation to make this truly effective and even then it isn’t completely foolproof.

people will use wood barricades to bunny hop to each pillar. until they remove the ability to place barricades everywhere, this strategy isn’t a deterrent, more of a nuisance. the same goes for wood spikes. the only best deterrence in defense against raiding is to make a million decoy loot rooms with as many metal doors and to spread out your loot on the middle floors of a 20 story tall 3x3 building. get used to opening and closing doors a trillion times a day.

Ok, the way I understand it, a base that is built the following way is raid proof:

Foundation 6x5
Inner “base” is 4x3
The outer 1 square border is for piller barrier
The inner 4x3 base is 2 stories high of “stilts” no actual walls, no stairs, no ramps.
The “base” starts on the 3rd floor. Where the outer sections have floor, one of the 2 center squares is an opening in the floor.
You place a box on the ledge of this, for passing up loot while standing on a strategically placed crate or something
Initially you use stairs to get up there, and place a sleeping bag. Then you destroy the stairs and pillar it in. From there the only way in is suicide…
The outer layer of foundation is fully pillared in with all 9 spots per foundation occupied (each corner, center, and center-edge) so there is no way to build ANYTHING on that foundation.

It’s hard to describe, so let me revert to a diagram:

KEY: 
+ are pillars
- and | are walls
an empty space is open air
F is open floor (ceiling below your feet)
S is stairs
D is metal door
Note: in this diagram, a single floor square is 3 characters wide/tall (to represent the 9 possible pillar locations)

First floor:
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
++|+++++++++|++
+++++++++++++++
++D+++++++++|++
+++++++++++++++
++|+++++++++|++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++

Second floor:
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
++|+++++++++|++
+++++++++++++++
++|+++++++++|++
+++++++++++++++
++|+++++++++|++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++

Third floor:
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
++|SFFFFFFFF|++
+++F+-+-+-+F+++
++|FDFFF++|F|++
+++F+-+-+-+F+++
++|FFFFFFFFF|++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++

Third floor:
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
++| FFFFFFFF|++
+++F+F+F+F+F+++
++|FFFFFFFFF|++
+++F+F+F+F+F+++
++|FFFFFFFFF|++
+++-+-+-+-+-+++
+++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++

Roof:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

With this setup, the roof is solid “ceilings” which are indestructable
The pillar barrier cannot be built through because all 9 positions are occupied. No way to reach inward to the walls
The upper walls are completely raid proof.
The lower first and second story walls are just for privacy when loading gear into the base, if those walls are destroyed that doesn’t matter, your loot is still safe on the top floor
Your sleeping bag, and storage is all on the top floor.
You load gear in by using a strategically placed stepping object to reach the 3rd story storage box hanging over the edge so you can see it from below. Load gear into it, suicide, spawn up top and unload it into your real storage one floor up

You can get out by dropping carefully down from the opening, allowing you to get out after respawn.

You can be griefed though, technically they can replace your base floor door with a wall, causing you to have to C4 out of your own house to be able to get gear in and out, but your stuff is still safe.
Well placed grenades thrown up to the third floor MAY be able to blow the door or a wall up there, and then with a LOT of effort maybe bounce some to the stairs or an outer wall blowing a hole in that… But that’s a LONG shot, and even then it doesn’t really buy them much as it’s a third story hole, still with pillar barriers around it.

The pillar barrier layer is fully capped at the 4th floor with a ceiling on top, so no way to get to the top of the box. It’s a fully contained cube with no “exposed edges”

It will however cost a TON in wood to build.

But it should be 100% raid proof as far as I can tell, minus hackers of course… Noclip, flying, and so on could of course get around it. It’s far from convenient though, and no way to add friends later on to join you. It’s purely a solo house and can ONLY be accessed via suicide.

Anyone know of a flaw in a design like this (other than that it’s a pain to use, and very expensive to build)?

Also I guess I should qualify that this is only valid under the assumption that pillars, ceilings, and foundations are indestructable, and that you actually maintain the building to avoid deterioration.

I have yet to actually build this of course… Too much wood, but the theory is sound (I think) lol…

Also this is my first post lol… So take it with a grain of salt.

Barricade and large box up to 2nd floor wall, blow a wall out and one beside it. Jump onto exposed pillar and place a large box, place barricade on other exposed pillar. Jump from box onto barricade and blow 3rd floor wall. Now I am in.

Glasswalker, I don’t get your design. People can just hop across the tops of the pillars that are below the roof to get to your wall.

I don’t understand how you can build a barricade. The pillars are complete from ground up to the ceiling cap on 4th floor. And there are no exterior exposed walls. Can you build through pillar somehow?

Can you explain in more detail how this would work exactly?

There are no “tops” all pillars are continuous from ground level up to a solid unbroken ceiling cap across all of it at the top of the 4th floor. So no way to “hop” on top of the pillars… (at least as far as I know).

That’s not possible. You can only put a ceiling on top of four corner pillars. Any other pillars will make you unable to place the ceiling.

i just got flashbacks to playing dwarf fortress looking at that base layout.

OT: the pillar design only works if no more foundations can be placed next to the ones with pillars on them, otherwise stairs can be used to ascend. However, if no foundations can be placed further in, you can take your pillar defense system up about 6 stories before capping it off with a ceiling, meaning anyone who gets up there would die from the fall coming back down, making it significantly more complicated to get to a higher floor of your house without blowing out the lower levels.
If you leave any space, you can chain building walls up to a certain height, then build up on a fresh foundation and leap across to the walls that were placed.
My preferred system of base building is to have a sort of core, which isn’t easy to access, and then building haphazardly with a lot of decoy rooms. If your base looks like it rose up out of chaos and landed on the ground, it’s hard for a raider to determine where your stuff is. Just don’t get lost in your own base.

EDIT: fixed quote.

Best way to defend yourself is not to stockpile to much. The stuff they will get from you must be lower then the C4 cost to get to your stuff. That in the long run will make you a non desired target. As it is now everyone stockpiles to much so the robbers have the upperhand then the defenders since they will get more loot from robbing then it costs to get in. Stop beeing greedy and start to add daily farming for your daily needs. The only ones who should be able to make large stockpiles are those who make server “clans” and build small protected villiges and more or less always have players online who can protect it.