How to find the position of any alive player?

Hello,

I am trying to attach a feature to my roll the dice script that will allow dead players on a certain team to roll for a respawn. As it is for deathrun, I need them to respawn on one of their teammates, not the spawn area.
Trouble is I don’t know how to go about finding an alive player and getting his position to use in a function. I believe what I have to do is create a loop that checks through all players and see if they are alive, but I don’t know how to get the loop to check to make sure the player is a specific team as well and then grab his position.

Currently I have

if chance >= 95 then

local guy = POSTION OF FIRST ALIVE TEAMMATE THAT IT FINDS                    

ply:Spawn();
      ply:SetPos( guy );
      rtdTextToAll(ply:Nick().." rolled a resurrection!");
else
      rtdClientText(ply,"Your resurrection failed!");
      ply:SetNWInt("srtdLastUsed",os.time());
      return false
end

As you can see, I would put the loop right after the first line, then have variable “guy” be defined as the position of the first alive teammate that the loop finds. So what kind of loop would I make that checks every player that is alive, and on team TEAM_RUNNER, then get this player’s position?

Thanks!

make a for loop containing players.GetAll() and then do “v:getpos()”

So would this do?

if chance >= 95 then

for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
                        if (v:Team() == TEAM_RUNNER) and (v:Alive() == true} then
                        guy = v:GetPos()
                        end
                    end

ply:Spawn()
                        ply:SetPos( guy )
                        rtdTextToAll(ply:Nick().." rolled a resurrection!")
                    else
                        rtdClientText(ply,"Your resurrection failed.");
                        ply:SetNWInt("srtdLastUsed",os.time());
                        return false
                end

I feel like this wouldn’t work because that would find the position of every player that meets the criteria, when we need only a single random player.

Assuming you’re making this option only available to runners in your addon all you have to do is check that the player is a teammate of the said player and check if they are alive as such:

[lua]
for k, v in pairs (player.GetAll()) do
if (v:Team() == ply:Team() and v:Alive()) then
ply:Spawn()
ply:SetPos(v:GetPos())
return
end
end
[/lua]

As Doubleedge said.

[editline]30th July 2015[/editline]

Hai Niandra!!

Thanks a bunch. Didn’t know it was this simple!