It seems a lot of you are unable to work out how to fix this whole lua_shared.dll issue that’s only recently started happening in Garry’s Mod, so I’ll spend the next 5 minutes explaining, in detail how to fix it.
Okay, first of all, let’s begin by telling you this is mainly happening on Avast (Anti-Virus).
- Open your Avast by going into the bottom right and right clicking on the Avast icon and simply clicking “Open Avast!”
- Open the “AntiVirus” category which should be on the left of your screen
- Click on the “File System Shield” menu after opening the AntiVirus category
- Click on Settings, this button is placed next to the ‘Start’ and ‘Stop’ button
- Click on ‘Exclusions’
- Hit ‘Add’ at the bottom of this window and navigate the path to your Garry’s Mod bin folder, for example: 'C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\bin* - This will tell Avast not to scan any files within the bin folder.
Your exclusion new path should look a little something like this:
Simply click OK, then verify the integrity of game cache by going into your Steam library, right click on Garry’s Mod, click Properties, press the ‘Local Files’ tab and press ‘Verify integrity of game cache’.