How to make a collision model?

How do you make a collision model for a w_model on Blender 2.7? Should I just reduce the vertices or should there be something else? I tried decompiling another w_model and using it’s phys.smd but the gun just tilts towards the floor. I also checked Valve wiki but the guide there was just a simple collision mesh for a magazine.

What kind of model are you making a collision model for ?
And yea, collision models are usually a very very simplified version of the actual model, it’s not supposed to be detailed.

A SWEP’s w_model, particularly an M4 Carbine and M16A4. Nothing special.

If you don’t mind collision model to be precise you could simply reuse the actual model as collision model, studiomdl will do an automatic simplification of the model used and use it as collision model.

But, if you are aiming for a precise collision model you should place primitive objects over the original model to build your collision model.

Don’t forget to check $concave command in your QC and also that each collision primitive object should get it’s own unique smoothing group number.

Generally, this is what I would do:

Grab a cube and go into edit mode, duplicate it (shift+D) and resize it to match specific parts of the weapon.

When you’re done, you should see something like this.

Smooth it and rig it to the skeleton you’re using. Now you can export it.

Or you could do it even simpler.

And as ferdam said, verify that you have $concave in your QC file before compiling.

I think this is what I’m looking for. Thanks for sharing the steps. :happy: