How to make "ghost events"?

Hi, I am currently trying to make my map have some scary events that’ll happen if you walk into a trigger, there’ll be a ragdoll girl in a specific pose pop up in 1 second, and then disappear again. Does anyone how if this is possible to do in Hammer, or would I need to use LUA too?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Have you even made the pose for the model yet?

I think you can do it with a prop_dynamic, set the pose with the default animation option, and use the TurnOn/TurnOff or Enable/Disable outputs upon entering the trigger?
I haven’t tested this myself, mind you.

Actually, IronPhoenix’s solution could be better.

Set up a sequence and use a trigger to activate it. sequences can be a bit weird sometimes and not all the animations work :frowning:

There was a thread making scary map’s from the guy that made evil apartment’s.

Forgot about the actual thread, though.

[editline]9th November 2011[/editline]

Found it.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1119839?highlight=

Should lessen up your hardship.
Goodluck with your map.

Thank you so much, everyone for your effort :slight_smile: In return, I’ll make sure to record it sometime, and post it on the WIP mapping thread.

Things suddenly popping up out of nowhere isn’t scary, it’s just annoying.

boo out popped a skeleton and then who was phone yadda yadda

There is a certain low frenquency that initiates the fear reaction in humans. It’s built into every single person, and fills them with the sense of unease. It’s actually a throwback response to when humans hunted for their food with sharp sticks, and wore furry loincloths. They used the same frequency for the asylum level in thief 4.

I’m saying this because sound is one of the things that makes a game or movie scary. Things jumping out initates a slightly different response, one that makes us hyper responsive. It’s not technically fear, but a fight or flight reaction to an immediate threat. Once the threat has gone, we remain in this state for a while, but as the adrenaline is washed out of the system, we become less responsive until the next threat arrives. If however, there is lots of things jumping out, the same response should be overridden because of how often it occurs.

Blood is another thing. Adding a little bit like drag marks under a door activates a sense on unease as to what is on the other side. Throwing lots of blood around in a room, is not scary, it becomes predictable, and, like the jumpers, becomes boring.

Little is more.

One thing you can do. Add a prop_physics baby doll, and make health to overried motion, and physics to override motion 1. Make an output event so that when the door opens, the baby doll’s motion is enabled. Add a delay of 1 second or more to get the ghost effect.
I did it in this map here.

Background sounds dude.
Adds tonnes to the atmosphere.

Make a prop_dynamic with a specific model of your choice, make an input in
trigger_once ==> OnStratTouch => “prop_dynamic name” => Enable ;
then trigger_once ==> OnStratTouch => “prop_dynamic name” => disable => Delay 0-1 secs.
If you wish to use an animation do then
trigger_once ==> OnStratTouch => “prop_dynamic name” => SetAnimation => With parameter override of : “Animation Name (ex: Idle)”

I hope this helped.

Never heard of that, can you post an example?

Don’t forget that sexy flickering fire!

And having something happen in another room that you can see into but can’t access. Bonus points if it’s something the player would feel guilty about due to not being able to prevent it.

Not where i heard about it, i read an interview in pc gamer i think with the designers of thief, but it does go into a little detail on that page. Specifically:

Normally decompiling stuff is frowned upon here. But decompile some death run maps, they got all sorts of cool entity works you can learn from, and modify/implement on your maps.

Death run is more used for killing the player, rather then scarring.
If you want my advice, be creepily creative.

If you all remember the haunted apartment map (How could you forget, it made us all sit in diapers shitting ourselves.) There was a situation where the player went in the room and picked up some pills. [sp] Then the door to exit the room was locked suddenly, and footsteps slowly started approaching the door.[/sp] at this point i hid myself in terror behind the fridge. [sp] Then the sound of the door unlocking plays[/sp] but i could barely bring myself to open it.

That’s a pretty good scare, without any jump outs. Its the EXPECTATION of jump-outs that never come! That’s true fear! Jump outs startle, but get old and cheap. But pure fear makes the experience a lot more mesmerizing.

You could even have a woman facing away from you at the end of the hall. When you get closer she walks to her left, out of sight. When you catch up, a trigger makes a door suddenly close. When you enter, she’s no where to be found and suddenly there are muffled violent sounds echoing from somewhere else.

Hope this all helped.

I think it’d be pretty creepy if you have a window looking into an empty room with an npc_citizen inside, but with no colour, making it invisible. Shining your flashlight on it would show a human shadow with no source.

[editline]12th November 2011[/editline]

That’s more of an easter egg, though.

People are more scared of what they don’t see, as opposed to what they do see.

If you can create a creepy enough environment, and allow the main scare/enemy to remain anonymous. Then the human imagination takes over and can create insane illusions of what the enemy could be.

Also another scary method is blood leaking out of an opening in an overhead vent. The players curiosity is to find what is bleeding. But at the same time they are scared to approach incase it could be an enemy, or even a jump-scare moment.

Overall the best thing to do is be unpredictable. Make the player expect something, then deliver something totally different.

Players are constantly expecting jump-scares, and players like to assume places they’ve visited recently are safe to visit again.

Spoilers
Watch a lot of horror movies as well. Insidious is a good one, ignore the jump-scares and concentrate on the parts which actually creep you out. The main culprit in Insidious is invisible and left to the human imagination for the first half of the film, and that makes it really scary.

There is also a part where a man is walking in patrol outside a the window, and then suddenly in line with his moving he shifts through the wall, at which point the female observing him screams the man realizes she’s there and attempts to attack her, she closes her eyes in fear, opens them moments later and he’s gone.