How to map for CSGO Beta in just 5 tedious step

Requested in the Map WIP thread. Maybe there’s an easier way to do this, I’m no expert, just posting what worked for me.

Step 1: Download Alien Swarm (It’s Free) and run the Alien Swarm SDK (Steam tools menu)

Step 2: Click Edit Game Configurations and then Add.

For Name write CSGO
For Directory put the full path to the Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo folder. For me the path was:

c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo

It may be different for you.

Click OK twice and restart the SDK.

Step 3: Set Current Game to CSGO and run Hammer.

Step 4: Go to Tools -> Options

Make sure Configuration is set to CSGO
Click Add and browse to Steam\steamapps**[your steam account name]**\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin and select cstrike.fgd

Replace Game Executable Directory with $SteamUserDir\Counter-Strike Global Offensive
Replace Game Directory with $SteamUserDir\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo
Replace Hammer VMF Directory with $SteamDir\steamapps**[your steam account name]**\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc

Click OK and restart Hammer.

Step 5: Start a new map and save it. You must put .vmf on the end of the filename or it won’t save properly.

Run the map. If you get the normal compile window click Expert.
Select Default configuration
Click $bsp_exe and remove -alldetail from parameters
Tick the first four boxes
Click close.

If everything went well you should now be able to use CSGO textures and models and any CSS entities that haven’t changed.
Run compiled maps by running CSGO and typing map mapname in the console.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8674/2012040800005a.jpg

One final thing I forgot: When you create a new map you have to change the skybox to sky_dust or any other CSGO skybox you can guess the name of.

Oh god, I hope I’ll get a beta key soon :slight_smile:

Nice tutorial though, I remember having to do this for Portal 2 the first week or so.

Will doing this screw anything up when the official SDK is released? I’ve always wondered that.

I’ll be sure to try this if I get the beta.

The only thing it has a chance of messing up is the configurations for mapping for Alien Swarm. And, because I don’t think a lot of people do here, there shouldn’t be any conflictions when the SDK comes out.

Nobody complained when they went from the modified version of Alien Swarm SDK to the Portal 2 Authoring Tool, so I suppose not. Beside, it’s two different programs, so I don’t see how one should screw up the other.

Oh, alright. I just wanted to make sure because I remember how paranoid I was about doing something similar to this for the L4D authoring tools. :v:

In the absolute worst case, delete local content and reinstall, but this won’t screw anything up.

I included steps for creating a new configuration so it should leave alien swarm unchanged.

I’m guessing global lighting doesn’t work with this method?

Don’t think so.

Problem is I don’t know how they are doing it. Is it automatic with light_environment or a new entity or what.

env_projectedtexture appears to work though.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7332/2012040800006.jpg

Thank you! now remaking a famous map from css/cs1.6 to cs:go :smiley:

Try env_global_light.

Anyone willing to spare a key? LOL I have been camping on the website trying to find out when I can get one. I really think the global light is cool and want to play around with it. I have even started making a map for it. LOL anyways this is really cool. thanks for the tut!

Might be using the wrong settings but it doesn’t appear to do anything.

edit: No. Ignore that. It does work. It just doesn’t work if you also have a light_enviroment.

I edited the guide to remove the line where I said to remove swarm.fgd. If you removed it you can re-add it.

Good job on the guide, finally getting models to work.

Why should we keep the swarm.fdg? Is there anything in it that we need to compile correctly for cs:go?

If you want to try env_global_light and some other newer entities you need swarm.fdg.

Otherwise no, you don’t need it.

The shadows all seem a bit buggy anyway, I can’t work it out.

env_global_light doesn’t work in CS:GO.

The cascaded shadow maps seem to work in custom maps only if you use mat_fullbright 1, for some reason.

Yeah all I can get is solid black shadows and I can’t control the angle. Oh well. Have to wait for the real SDK.

env_global_light is not meant for an FPS, its only purpose is for top down games like Alien Swarm and Dota 2.

Anything else its just all around bad to use, the SDK documentation on it explains it all.

I thought maybe they use that in CS:GO, updated of course. But I guess not.