How to port models to source using MilkShape 3D

Hey guys, I need some help here.

I’m trying to learn how to port models from other games (right now, specifically S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) and make them work with the source engine.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading!

You might want to clarify what kind of models you’re wanting to port. When it comes to things like props (such as cars, boxes, crates, weapons, etc.), Milkshape is an okay program to work with if you’re wanting things to be rather simple. However, the more complex models (such as characters, animals, rigged props with jiggle bones, etc.) are better suited to being worked with in programs like 3DS Max or Blender.

Currently I plan on sticking to props, as that’s a much simpler thing to learn for a beginner, in my opinion.

I’ll try to see if I can get a tutorial video set up to run you through the basics for getting everything ready. Are you familiar with the program, or are you jumping into this blind? If you’re going in blind, I’ll try to cover the interface in the video as best as I can to help you get familiar with it before you start.

Blind as a bat, my friend. I was recommended the program by another friend who does modelling, but I can’t get him to assist me in the endeavor further. That’s why I’m here.

Well, like I said, I’ll try to see if I can get a tutorial video set up to run you through the basics.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Also, would you reccomend any specific porting program? Right now I’m using 3D Ripper DX, but it’s a bitch to try to single out the single mesh I want from the frame I take. Are there any better programs for porting?

NinjaRipper rips in t-pose, but utterly breaks the UVs 85% of the time.

You could also try Gameassassin, that supposedly can rip bones as well. But the whole thing is in Chinese, with only a translated help file.

Thank you for the suggestions, however I am, just for the moment, only looking for a program that’d be sufficient for prop porting, not ragdoll porting. Eventually I plan to move into ragdoll porting, but right now I want to stick to the simpler stuff.

Try NinjaRipper, and if it borks just go back to 3Dripper since it seems to working.

Well, it WAS working on Blender (Which is what I was using prior to the suggestion to use MilkShape), however upon using MilkShape to import the same OBJ file nothing would show up. So, I’m not so sure. The reason I so willingly moved over to MilkShape was because Blender was becoming too complicated, and I wasn’t finding sufficient assistance to use it.

[editline]10th September 2014[/editline]

Alright! I’ve decided to try to carry on with Blender. Here is my problem.

http://puu.sh/buivC/70207eb443.jpg

The texture does not seem to be wrapping around the mesh properly, and I have no clue what to do in that regard. Any help would be appreciated.