How to properly ban a user?

Okay, there’s a user who has been banned multiple times from my server… Apparently, he only changes his name and is re-able to enter our server again. I put his steam UID in our ban list on our CFG files, but he’s still able to get on. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Under the “cfg\bans.cfg” folder, I have
banid 76561198123482954

It’s not on the “cfg\banlist.cfg” files though.

Should I add it on there as well?

Thanks in advance!

Where did you downloaded Rust Server? It’s not available to public.

HFBServers is the server host.

banlist.cfg is an old file, afaik it’s not being used at all anymore. The bans.cfg file is enough.

Might be enough, but apparently it’s not enough to stop him from entering my server with a simple name change. Could it be because I typed the wrong code in?

It could be Steam Family Share… that thing is kind of screwing people over.

All he has to do is make a new Steam account and share his games with the new one. He gets a new steamID and a free copy of the game.

I don’t know if that’s what’s happening… And I don’t know that much about the family share, but from what I understand, this is possible.

[editline]17th March 2014[/editline]

Although… this is interesting:
(from the Steam Family Share FAQ)

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?
Your Family Library Sharing privileges may be revoked and your account may also be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating or fraud. Additionally, VAC-banned games cannot be shared. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure. And as always, never give your password to anyone.

EDIT: I read this wrong before, but still might be considered cheating or fraud of some kind.

So maybe you could report him on Steam?